Thread: Need to replace keyboard in Sony Vaio Laptop

Need to replace keyboard in Sony Vaio Laptop

Hi all, i am having a Sony Vaio laptop, whose keyboard is gone. Its not working properly. So i need to replace it but do not know how to remove the notebook keyboard.I have the new keyboard but no idea how to swap it with the old one. Please help..

Re: Need to replace keyboard in Sony Vaio Laptop

Well, there is some way i can make you know but I don't recommend doing this one yourself. Take it to the shop. The way to remove keyboard from Sony VAIO laptop is here:-

• First of all for safety reason remove the batteries from your laptop by turn it upside down after shutdown the system and remove the two screws on the bottom side of the computer that are inside square holes immediately adjacent to the battery.
    • Now open the the LCD to protect it of nay damage.Use a screwdriver or other thin metal blade to push the spring loaded hold-downs above the F4 key upward, and pry up the left side of the keyboard.Hold it up a little with your fingers and then release the catch above the F12 key.The keyboard is flexible and easily damaged if you use too much force.
    • Lift the keyboard and lay it face down so you can see the ribbon cable connector on the mother board.Flip up the latch bar on the ribbon connector on the motherboard and pull out the ribbon cable.When it is open the ribbon cable can be removed and reinserted easily. Thats it .. You are done.

If you will look at the place where the ribbon cable meets up with the motherboard laptop from the existing defect keyboard you will see the end there. it may look like a regular plug in type you would see on a desktop like connection but it is not. You may want to get a strong pair of glasses or a magnifying glass to look closer---that ends there on the motherboard is only a clamp...not a plug-in.You need to remove the plate just above the keyboard. There may be screws holding this piece down on each side of the laptop. Remove those, then slide the plate to the left. Screws under this plate are removed to allow you to remove the keyboard.

The keyboard is well sealed against the influx of moisture, but there are large holes in the computer case under the keyboard so if you spill a lot of liquid on the keyboard it could go all the way down to the motherboard. Then you have a REAL disassembly, clean-up, and reassembly job.Most Sony's have the screw holding the top plate in place. It's either on the right or the left side of the computer itself. Unscrew that and slide away from the side the screw is on. You may have push hard on it, but that should get you access to the keyboard screws underneath.

hey everyone,
    I there is one problem in my sony vio laptop. Now let me tell u what is that. As i have changed the Japanese OS to english OS due to this some of my key are not working properly as the japanese keyboard is set as english keyboard hence while pressing shift+9 it shows "(" instead of ")". overall my jap. keyboard become eng. So guys plz help me.....
    :-(