Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 19-05-2009

Blackberry Curve Trackball not working properly

Greetings, I have a Blackberry Curve mobile phone and the trackball of it is not working, however it is not stucked and will roll up and down but I am not able to click on it to send anything. Can it be replaced or does it needs some cleaning? Thank you
Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Old 19-05-2009

Re: Blackberry Curve Trackball not working properly

First how bad troubleshooting by manufacturer-sellers is! Not a word on this. Second, third and fourth, always use with case, no pockets, no bottom of bags; use with clean hands; and, clean very carefully with cotton swab mildly moistened with nail polish remover (from your favorite woman, mine gave me the idea), and then very carefully clean ball with it and wipe with dry swab.
Old 19-05-2009

Another option is to try a soft reboot of your BB.
While the BB is powered on, remove the battery, give it 10 to 20 secs and put back the battery, This should get the track ball to work.
This should make the track ball work 9 out of 10 times, if it does not work - try the option of cleaning the trackball or else call the RIM customer support!
Old 19-05-2009

Your trackball issue could just be a buildup of dust and oils covering the trackball sensors get yourself a torx tool. They sell them at Sears. Take your BB apart, you can use the instructional videos available on youtube.

Once apart you will have access to the trackball sensors then just clean them off. You can use a can duster to help too. I used a eye glass lense cleaning wipe to clean the inside of the LCD cover as well.

I do suggest upgrading the OS in addition to cleaning out your BB. Good luck.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,