Thread: 0% available (plugged in, charging) message obtained on Dell Inspiron 6400.

0% available (plugged in, charging) message obtained on Dell Inspiron 6400.

Hi, I am having a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop since last 14 months and now when I plug it for charging I get an error message that 0% available (plugged in, charging), Although it says it's charging, it simply will not charge under any circumstance; the power level always reads 0% and unplugging the AC causes the laptop to power off immediately I’ve had this problem for about 6 months now but been clueless on how to fix it. I’d appreciate any help I could get, thank you.

Re: 0% available (plugged in, charging) message obtained on Dell Inspiron 6400.

First of all if you are having a laptop it should have some warranty period along with it as you mentioned that you are having the battery problem since last 6 months you should have contacted Dell directly for this problem as it would had been done for free for you, and there might be also a case if you would have taken an extended warranty you would get the problem for free or it will cost you a lot for the new battery.

The battery problem is normally caused in many of the laptops if you are not charging it properly then you might get this problem frequently .one thing you can do is that you can use the laptop battery tester software which you can easily get it online from some sites as it is provided for free you just have to download it .The program can scan battery voltage, export them and show graph. Export data to Microsoft Excel, or Picture export. This might help you out in checking the battery

If your laptop works all right while plugged in other than stops working whereas unplugged it's likely that either your laptop battery is bad or your laptop is not charging the battery appropriately. Here are some ways you can check the life of your battery. Make sure the computer has been charging from the power plug for at least two hours before attempting to unplug it. In some situations the battery can become loose. Removing it and then put it back into the laptop. You can also use a third party battery utility to check the total capacity of your battery by using Battery care software. It is a kind of software that checks the usage and performance of your battery

There might be a possibility that your battery might be working properly and there might not be any need to change it might be the problem of the AC adaptor which you are using there might be a possibility that the adaptor might become hot after a while of charging or you will have to check that the wires of your charger might be broken from somewhere you will have to check for that and if that is the problem then you will have to change the Adaptor of your laptop.