Thread: Windows Mobile-based Device driver installation problem

Windows Mobile-based Device driver installation problem

Hello,
    I have a problem to connect my Samsung Player Addict to my PC running XP with Service Pack3. I installed ActiveSync and I managed to do synchronization once and file transfer via USB (ActiveSync mode and not mass storage). The second time I connected my mobile on the PC using USB, it did not wanted to re-synchronize with my phone, I stopped syncing then route by clicking on a menu of ActiveSync. Since then when I try to connect my mobile phone, the pc gives three beeping sounds and does not connects to the mobile phone. I also uninstalled ActiveSync and then re-installed, and when I connect my phone, it tries to install the driver of the mobile disk from ActiveSync and I see the following message:

"A problem occurred while installing this hardware: Windows Mobile-based Device # 3. An error occurred during installation of the device is missing an entry in the file needed to install the driver this device. The INF file may have been written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor. "

What seems to be the problem here, can anyone help m. Thank you

Re: Windows Mobile-based Device driver installation problem

I have found the anwer and am sharing it here with others that might run into problems with ActiveSync when upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

The setupapi.log provided the clue I needed... it actually contained useful information, unlike the actual windows dialog. It contained the following text:

#-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [Usb_Rndis.ndi.Services].
    #E279 Add Service: Failed to create service "usb_rndisx". Error 1078: The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
    #E033 Error 1078: The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
    #E275 Error while installing services. Error 1078: The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
    #E122 Device install failed. Error 1078: The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
    #E154 Class installer failed. Error 1078: The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
    #I060 Set selected driver.

Using the information above, I searched the registry using "RegEdit" for "usb_rndis"... I found several keys called "usb_rndisy", I removed all those keys. I then reinstalled ActiveSync 4.2 again, plugged in my Pocket PC and it WORKED!

Aparently, when the updated drivers tried to install my PocketPC device, the usb_rndisx service was conflicting with the old usb_rndisy service.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Had this exact error too; I had installed the WMDC 6.1 update without uninstalling the previous WMDC installation. Try the following to see if it clears up your problem:

1) Make sure your Windows Mobile device is unplugged from your system during the next four steps.

2) Uninstall your previous Windows Mobile Device Center/Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update installations

3) Reboot

4) Reinstall WMDC 6.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...icecenter.mspx. Wait for all device driver installation dialogs have stopped appearing (which can/will continue after the WMDC 6.1 installation has completed)

5) Plug in your Windows Mobile device and wait until all device driver installation dialogs/balloon popops signal they are completed. WMDC should now let you create a new partnership.

The solution for me was in Device Manager with the driver issue. In device manager there was a yellow warning sign on windows mobile device when i connect my usb to the vista laptop. I basically just right clicked and uninstalled the device. Then unplugged my usb from my rw6828 and then plug it back again. Then the device was recognised correctly ie the driver installed and the yellow sign was gone. And all was sweet. No more errors.

So I suggest that everyone who has this issue go to their device manager and see if there is a yellow mark against their device. Post back if this works for you.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's