Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009

What is Edge in mobile phones?

Hey!
I have often heard that this mobile has EDGE enabled so it is more costlier...! I wanna know what exactly is EDGE? It is required for better sound quality over air or better network reception or something? I mean i have ZERO knowledge about it, so please guide me guys! I use a mobile phone on its fullest strenght but i have never come across the use of edge...! Thanks in advance...!
Old 06-04-2009

Re: What is Edge in mobile phones?

Hey!
I'm not sure but edge 3G and UMTS are one and the same...! It is used for fast internet on the mobile phones. More over you can have a better sound quality and great sound clearity even if the signal is too weak...! This is what i know... May be you should use google...! All the best...!
Old 06-04-2009

Hey!
I don't think so...! UMTS and 3G are totally different. There is WCDMA and HSPA also... But i'm clueless abot those stuffs...! All i know is WCMDA and 3G are same...! 3G means 3rd generation. And even i doubt if Edge is for internet on mobile phones then what is GPRS used for? Well all these stuff is so confusing...! Hope someone helps....!
Old 06-04-2009

What is EDGE?
Further enhancements to GSM networks are provided by Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) technology, which provides up to three times the data capacity of GPRS.

Using EDGE, operators can handle three times more subscribers than GPRS, triple their data rate per subscriber, or add extra capacity to their voice communications.

EDGE allows the delivery of advanced mobile services such as the downloading of video and music clips, multimedia messaging, high-speed Internet access and e-mail on the move.
Old 06-04-2009

Hey thanks...!
That means EDGE is an upgrade to GPRS...! Well what will be the procedure to have a EDGE network? Does it need a different hardware? Thanks
Old 06-04-2009

EDGE uses the same structure, as today's GSM networks, which allows it to be overlaid directly onto an existing GSM network. For many existing GSM/GPRS networks, EDGE is a simple software-upgrade.

Due to the very small incremental cost of including EDGE capability in GSM network deployment, virtually all new GSM infrastructure deployments are also EDGE capable and nearly all new mid- to high-level GSM devices also include EDGE radio technology.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,