Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 31-03-2009

Problem With Dell Laptop Internet Connection

I am facing a strange problem with my laptop. I have a dell inspirion laptop and it works fine. The only problem i am facing is to connect the laptop to internet. The ethernet jack is not working properly. It loses connection very time i get connected.

Please provide some views regarding this
Old 31-03-2009

Re: Problem With Dell Laptop Internet Connection

Strange. It seems unlikely that the ethernet port in the modem would have blown leavin everything else intact.

I wouldnt have though just cutting the power would have caused problems. Unless it got some kind of spike
Old 31-03-2009

IS it the computers ethernet port you think is dead or were you just checking the PCI NIC to mak sure .

Are you running DHCP on the network and is your system connected directly to the modem?

It looks like Windows is expecting to be assigned a Dynamic IP.
Old 31-03-2009

To my understanding, if the device driver failed to initialize properly, it should not necessairly consume any resources, such as using an IRQ or memory places.

My guess is that your driver is bad, and/or something upstream is bad, perhaps the PCMCIA drivers, or your chipset. I would remove the device driver, and check to make sure the subsystems are up to date too, and then re-install the network adapter.
Old 31-03-2009

A device driver would fail to initialize because the driver is calling upon hardware that doesn't exist, or is not configured properly. The device drivers are special pieces of code that expect certain components to be there in order to function.

Think of a computer that operates a traffic light. The computer turns the lights on -- red, yellow, green. The hardware is the lightbulb. The software is the program that turns on the light, and checks for power drain (a lit light draws power to make the shine, and gives off heat). If the lightbulb is missing, you don't have light, and there would not be a power drain. Software says there is a problem. Driver did not initialize properly.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: ,