Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-03-2009

Terrible CD-ROM Problem

I am facing a terrible problem with my CD-ROM. I have a LG CD-ROM and it's just 2 years old. But i guess it has started showing it's colors. The CD-ROM drive is not able to read CD's at all. It also not create spinning noise.
I tried the Device Manager and there is an exclamation point and error sign.

I don't know how to recover from such problem.
Need your assistance?

Please help
Old 25-03-2009

Re: Terrible CD-ROM Problem

If they were working before you installed the ASPI driver, try removing the driver and see if that doesn't get them back for you. Not all drivers are compatable with XP. Do you know what driver version you installed?

load win xp and try to install the drivers from the disk
Old 25-03-2009

Did your system come with XP allready installed on it or did you upgrade from a different version of windows?
If it had a differnt version of windows and you tryed a direct upgrade to XP then most likely that has caused your problem. If so do a fdisk on your hdd and then do a freash install of XP.
Old 25-03-2009

Open Device Manager.
Right click the drive icon below the DVD/CD ROM drives which shows you a yellow triange, select "Update driver"

A hardware update wizard will pop up. Select "Install from a specific location (Advanced)". Click "Next"
On next page, select "Dont search. I will choose the driver to install" and now click "Next"

On next page, select "have disk"
An "install from disk" dialog will pop up.
select "Browse" button and look for the .inf file on your motherboard CD folders. Click ok.

The driver files will be copied. (If it hasnt passed the logo testing by microsoft, you can still install it by clicking "Continue Anyway")

The drive should not have yellow sign now. And should be ready to use.

Put a different CD and check.
Old 25-03-2009

its definitely a driver issue. when you open the device manager it should tell you what manufacturer and model the drive is. go to the manuf. website and search for "drivers for model X" that will give you the most current drivers

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: ,