Thread: New Acer Aspire One with 11.6-inch Display

New Acer Aspire One with 11.6-inch Display

Could this be true - a new Acer Aspire One netbook that further blurs the line with its 11.6" display?The Acer is expected to release a new model of the popular Acer Aspire One,the 11.6-inch Acer Aspire One.It will have a large 11.6-inch display with a resolution of 1366×768 and a 16:9 aspect ratio.It will also feature the new redesigned full size keyboard with flat keys together with an Intel Atom Z530 processor and the Poulsbo chipset, paired with GMA500 graphics.

Apart from that, many other things about this enlarged Aspire One is pretty much the same as its predecessor, save for the redesigned full size keyboard complete with flat keys for a supposedly superior typing experience. Port alignment has changed as well, but both VGA and RJ45 ports remain where they were. Underneath the hood, you will find an Intel Atom Z530 and Intel SCH USW15S chipset complete with an integrated GMA500 graphics core. Initial testing shows a battery life of approximately 4 hours, while a high capacity battery doubles that amount.

I’m reluctant to call a laptop with an 11.6 inch display a netbook, and to be fair, Acer hasn’t labeled this computer as such yet. But slapping the Aspire One name on it seems like a bad idea to me. I prefer the way Asus has done things so far, by differentiating between its netbooks with the Eee PC moniker and higher end machines like the Asus N10 series that look a lot like netbooks, but have higher quality graphics cards and other components.

But it sounds like the only thing separating the 11.6 inch Acer Aspire One from its netbook brethren is size. It will have the same processor as many netbooks and it will still be thin and light compared to full sized laptops.

Aside from a larger display, the upcoming Aspire One netbook will be based on the Intel SCH USW15S chipset with the integrated GMA950 graphics processing unit. This combination offers support for one of Intel's Atom Z-series processors, namely the Z530 model, and hardware decoding of an H.264 and other codecs. Also, thanks to the integration of the new chipset, the upcoming Aspire One netbook will boast a TDP of 4.3W, a noteworthy improvement over the TDP of 11.8W provided by the previous platform.

Re: New Acer Aspire One with 11.6-inch Display

The system is said to provide users with a battery life of about 4 hours on a standard battery, while a larger battery will allow them to take advantage of about 8 hours of working time. Unfortunately there no details on pricing and availability, but there's a good chance Acer will soon update its netbook range.

Sounds like the perfect netbook. I'm not looking for a tonne of power, and this seems to give me exactly what I need. One of those things was the screen resolution. Also, this thing has a screen smaller than a 12" screen, and appears to hit the sweet spot for screen size, since keyboard size will be limited by screen size, and the keyboard on most netbooks just isn't good enough for full-time use.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I want a netbook that it slightly larger than a 10 inch, some op par with Sony Viaos 11inch TZ. Now as long as this has decent real life battery I will be buying it.