Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 23-03-2009

Problem with my Dell Inspiron E1705

I am facing a strange problem with my dell laptop. The battery of the laptop is about to die.It has some problem with battery charging.
The battery is not charging for some reason though and i am not getting any valid reason regarding the loss of power from battery. I tried with new one but the same problem.
Please suggest me some views reagarding this
Old 23-03-2009

Re: Problem with my Dell Inspiron E1705

You can't rule out two faulty batteries, but it would seem unlikely. What would help would be if you had a multimeter and measured the voltage on the battery. It would help to determine whether there is a fault with the connections/charging circuit. The fact that the charging light is on for a short period suggests that, as woodchip says, there is a mobo fault. The reason I ask about a multimeter is that you have to consider that the battery maybe being charged for a short period then 'telling' the charging circuit that it has enough charge. So, the battery charge light goes out as it should, but the mobo isn't seeing the battery or there is simply a bad connection.
Old 23-03-2009

if it is truly dead, it is gone. Lithium has a life of about 500 full charges, which is a lot in terms of years. It deteriorates over time, and it may be time to get a new battery.
Old 23-03-2009

When charging the battery for the first time your computer may indicate that charging is complete after just 10 or 15 minutes. This is a normal phenomenon with rechargeable batteries. Simply remove the battery from the computer and repeat the charging procedure.

It is important to condition (fully discharge and then fully charge) the battery every two to three weeks. Failure to do so may significantly shorten the battery's life (this does not apply to Li-ion batteries, which do not require conditioning). To discharge, simply run your device under the battery's power until it shuts down or until you get a low battery warning. Then recharge the battery as instructed in your user's manual.

If the battery will not be in use for a month or longer, it is recommended that it be removed from the device and stored in a cool, dry, clean place.

It is normal for a battery to become warm during charging and discharging.

A charged battery will eventually lose its charge if unused. It may therefore be necessary to recharge the battery after a storage period.

The milliamp-hour (mAH) rating of the laptop battery dot org batteries will often be higher than the one on your original battery. A higher mAH rating is indicative of a longer lasting (higher capacity) battery and will not cause any incompatibilities. An laptop battery dot org battery will, in most cases, outperform the original by 30% to 50%.
Old 23-03-2009

Breaking In New Batteries - new batteries come in a discharged condition and must be fully charged before use. It is recommended that you fully charge and discharge your new battery two to four times to allow it to reach its maximum rated capacity.

Preventing the Memory Effect - Keep your battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-ion batteries which do not suffer from the memory effect.

Keep Your Batteries Clean - It's a good idea to clean dirty battery contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. This helps maintain a good connection between the battery and your portable device.

Exercise Your Battery - Do not leave your battery dormant for long periods of time. We recommend using the battery at least once every two to three weeks. If a battery has not been used for a long period of time, perform the new battery break in procedure described above.

Battery Storage - If you don't plan on using the battery for a month or more, we recommend storing it in a clean, dry, cool place away from heat and metal objects. Ni-Cd, NiMH and Li-ion batteries will self-discharge during storage; remember to break them in before use. Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries must be kept at full charge during storage. This is usually achieved by using special trickle chargers. If you do not have a trickle charger, do not attempt to store SLA batteries for more than three months.

For Notebook Users - To get maximum performance from your battery, fully optimize the notebook's power management features prior to use. Power management is a trade off: better power conservation in exchange for lesser computer performance. The power management system conserves battery power by setting the processor to run at a slower speed, dimming the screen, spinning down the hard drive when it's not in use and causing the machine to go into sleep mode when inactive. Your notebook user's guide will provide information relating to specific power management features.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,