Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 19-03-2009

question Thinkpad T42 does not start up

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my laptop Thinkpad T42. It is a fairly old work laptop that I have recently replaced with a newer one that I tend to use nowadas...

However, looking at the this machine, when I try to start it up, almost nothing... the fan whirs, the HDD feels like it's spinning, the DVD player spins, the power charging light powers up.... it all was fine before (I haven't changed anything major I can think of, mabe installation of Spre a lite tiime again.), I would turn it on and it would flash the bios screen and then start up normally loading the Windows XP (on that machine) logo screen as it loads and all would work fine.

However, now, the charge and battery lights are on and fine. But, starting up the server, you still hear the fan,the HDD, the DVD, but that's it... once they all seemingly stir, nothing shows up on the screen. No BIOS dialog, no Windows starting up, nada...

I did even just notice that the light to indicate that a some activity was taking place in the HDD is always off... I was originally thinking it was a video adapter issue, which now I don't think it is so cause I'm more convinced that it's messed up big time.

Second assumption, it could be the mother board but if so, it might not be worth my while trying to fix it. It is a 3.5 year old laptop and want to eventually sell it...

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I would like to fix it easily and / or cheaply and then sell it off

If I do fix it, does it make sense to just removed the HDD and destroy it and make the comment about no HDD to partners and clients.

Let me know, thanks!
Old 19-03-2009

Re: Thinkpad T42 does not start up

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from the computer, and then restart the computer.
  2. Follow one of these steps:If the computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as the computer restarts. You must press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must restart and try again.
  3. If the computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system that you want to repair. Then, press and hold F8.
  4. If the computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as the computer restarts. You must press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must restart and try again.
  5. If the computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system that you want to repair. Then, press and hold F8.
  6. In Advanced Boot Options, use the arrow keys to select Repair the computer, and then press ENTER.
  7. Click a keyboard layout in the list, and then click Next.
  8. Click a user name in the list, enter the password, and then click OK.
  9. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
  10. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.
Old 19-03-2009

• remove battery and unplug AC adapter
  • press power ON button for 30 seconds or so (1 min is also good).
  • attach battery and plug in AC.
  • power ON as normal

post back whatever the result OK?
Old 19-03-2009

possibly there is a hard ware conflict, Possibly motherboard failure, all these discretions are descriptive of bad motherboards you can find good replacements for them.
Old 19-03-2009

Better for you is to restore your laptop. Follow the below steps mention.

Start--> Programs-->Accessories--> System Tools--> System Restore.There you can set the date when your laptop was working fine and follow the instructions.
Old 19-03-2009

Try starting without the battery, Then remove the memory, and try starting with each chip one at a time in each slot. Many time this is either a bad battery or a bad memory chip. Also check the power supply with an ohm meter for the proper output. If the supply checks good, and the other two suggestions don't work, then the problem will most likely be with the power management system on the motherboard. If this is the case, then you will either need to have the exact motherboard component traced by a tech, or replace the motherboard.
Old 19-03-2009

try here may helpful for you

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1142011.htm
Laptop does not start
HP laptop does not start any more

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: ,