Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009

iPod on two computer

Hello friends,
I can set up my iPod on my home PC and personal webmail account. Can i synchronize it with my two separate computers in office and home? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-03-2009

Re: iPod on two computer

iPods were designed to automatically sync with one iTunes library, or one computer. You can manually manage files on your iPod across multiple devices by: Displaying the iPod preferences and clicking the Manually manage music button. Then you can move files from any iTunes client to the iPod.
Old 10-03-2009

On the machine you want to sync with, backup "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Music Library" (Tunes Music Library.itl on PC) to a safe location. These are the files you will be modifying.

On the machine your iPhone currently syncs with, open "iTunes Music Library.xml" with a text editor and find the entry between the <string></string> tags, after "Library Persistent ID". In the example below this is 8B6C633F7DACB74B. Copy this entry exactly to a piece of paper, email, temporary file etc. You can then close this file.

iTunes stores your library information in two places. An XML file and a binary file. You now need to change the ID in both so they match your other library. Make sure iTunes is not running.

On the machine you want to sync with open "iTunes Music Library.xml" in a text editor. Again, find the entry between the <string></string> tags after "Library Persistent ID" and copy this entry exactly. When you have a copy, replace this entry with the one you copied in part 1. Make sure you do not change anything else, and the length of the entry is 16 characters/digits. Save this file and close it.
In the Hex Editor, open "iTunes Music Library" (Tunes Music Library.itl on PC). Select "Find and Replace" from the Edit menu. Make sure "Hex" matching is selected (not ASCII). In "Find" enter the ID you took a note of in Part 1. In Replace, enter the ID you copied at the start of Part 2. Choose Replace All, there should be one match. Save this file and close it.
Now when you select "Manually manage music and videos" you will no longer be prompted to erase your data, nor will the files on your iPhone be grayed out.
Old 10-03-2009

On networked computers synchronizing iTunes manually between computers can be a difficult task. You can easily do it with Oligrob Software?s free syncOtunes 0.95 (3.5 mice). It's designed to sync libraries and settings, provided that the computers involved can communicate directly over a network.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , ,