Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009

Not reading USB stick

Hello,

I got an old Compaq Armada V300 under windows 98 and I can not open usb keys , it detects but can not find the drivers, I tried to download from the site but there is nothing.

Can you help me
Thank you
Old 09-03-2009

Re: Not reading USB stick

Hi,

Win 98, USB does not detect the same way as its XP or Vista. You have downloaded drivers but they were adequate for Windows 98? The best thing to do in these cases, on older machines is to burn data onto a CD or put them on a floppy disk.
Old 09-03-2009

Here's USB fix that fixes many USB problems

Quote:
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.
Old 09-03-2009

Here is the drivers of Compaq Armada V300 for Windows 98. Hope this will help. good luck

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , ,