Thread: Can I upgrade ram in Lenovo ThinkPad T61 6463

Can I upgrade ram in Lenovo ThinkPad T61 6463

I am using Lenovo ThinkPad T61 6463 series laptop. On that I am having 4 GB of RAM memory i.e. 2 x 2GB and laptop is running windows 7 operating system using core i5 processor. I am planning to upgrade the RAM of my laptop so that it gets more memory. Most probably I will double the current RAM size, so that it would have 8GB of memory. So for this I need suggestions on this and what to do in this case. Also does it need exact the same RAM that I am presently using or any every other will function on my system.

Re: Can I upgrade ram in Lenovo ThinkPad T61 6463

I have read your query and I find that in this new series of Lenovo laptops actually there is no compulsions to utilize the matching RAM. In all previous Lenovo series there was a stage where we were not able to use any other RAM as single slot is filled and also if allowed then both of these RAM must be identical. So don’t worries as nowadays it is not required to use the identical and you can use the alternate and it would support on your laptop.

I think that there is no need of using two dissimilar RAM. I mean that you can go for the same RAM also ands it would be better for you also. You are planning to have 8GB of RAM so according to me you should go for two sticks of 4GB RAMs. It would also be best if you select the same company RAM that you are currently using on your laptop. And also buy a similar RAM in this case as there is no problem if you go for the same company RAM for your laptop.

As you are planning to upgrade the RAM then according to me you should go for best company RAM as this upgrade we do is for long years. If I would suggest in this case then you should go for transcend company as I am using its RAM from long years and it haven’t got any problems yet. I guess this company provides better products and after you buy this you would also experience the same, because it provides better data transfer speed.

When you go for buying your RAM then you also need to note for this point that whichever RAM you buy it should be DDR2 SD RAM. This is the important thing to note because if you go for any other RAM memory module such as DDR3 or any other then the first thing it is that it would not get installed on your motherboard. Then even if you are able to fix some RAM on your board but if it doesn’t support on your system then there would be incompatible issues with it and would cause more problems.

I would give you some advice so that you select proper RAM for your laptop. As now you are having 4GB of RAM, then for going with 8GB of RAM, you should select a RAM of company which provides best speed so that you don’t experience freeze problems and also you get better data transfer. You should note that if that RAM is having maximum latency then you should combine both of these above features and then go for a company which even provides maximum warranty for their hardware’s.

I appreciate all your answers given by this forum member. I thank all of them to give me suggestions as well as solutions for my query. I am planning to upgrade the RAM in order to get better system performance I my laptop. After going through many RAM companies I decided to go for transcend RAM chip for my laptop. It is offering 1 year warranty for this RAM sticks and many other are giving only 6 months for it, also speed and other features of transcend are best.