Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 19-02-2009

Problem with Compaq Proliant 1850R Array Setup

hello

I have recently bought an old Compaq Proliant 1850R which I plan to use it for Free BSD web server. It came with a Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller which normally is connected to the 4-disk backplane which has 4x 18.2 GB SCSI drives.

My problem starts here as I cannot configure the disk array. I tried doing some search online basis and found that I need to run HP/Compaq's "SmartSetup" software. People have said that they generally prefer to use 4.x and in one article I also read that it was able to accomplish the task with 5.5.0.

Please help me regarding this query
Old 19-02-2009

Re: Problem with Compaq Proliant 1850R Array Setup

Follow these steps carefully:
  1. Close the Array Configuration Utility.
  2. Open the System applet in Windows Control Panel.
  3. Select "Hardware" -> "Device Manager."
  4. Expand the System Devices list.
  5. Right-click "StorageWorks Fibre Channel Array Controller" and select "Disable" (see the image below.)
  6. Start the Array Configuration Utility.
  7. Configure the RAID Array 4X00.
  8. Enable the Fibre Channel Array Notification Driver:
  9. Open the System applet in Windows Control Panel.
  10. Select "Hardware" -> "Device Manager."
  11. Expand the System Devices list.
  12. Right-click "StorageWorks Fibre Channel Array Controller" and select "Enable."
Old 19-02-2009

The Smart Array Controller firmware has been enhanced so that when the controller detects that an attached hot-pluggable hard drive has entered a degraded status, the amber LED on the hot-pluggable hard drive will flash. This enhancement will allow easier detection and replacement of the affected physical hard drive, especially when reported by a system management utility such as Insight Manager. The affected hot-pluggable hard drive will remain online and display the following LED combination: Online = On
Drive Access = On, Off, or Blinking
Drive Failure = Blinking Amber

This feature is NOT supported in a RAID 0 no fault-tolerance configuration. The controller must be configured in a RAID 1 or RAID 5 fault-tolerance configuration.

In the unlikely event that multiple hot-pluggable hard drives in an array are in a degraded (predictive-failure) state, the amber LED may blink on each of the degraded drives in the array. When any one of the degraded drives is hot-removed, the amber LEDs on the other degraded drives will temporarily stop blinking until the removed drive has been replaced and rebuilt.
Old 19-02-2009

kernel /boot/<...> ro root=LABEL=/1 apm=off noapic noht nomce nousb nousbstorage skipddc

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,