Thread: Mitsumi CR-48XFTE CD Burner works too Slow

Mitsumi CR-48XFTE CD Burner works too Slow

hi there

I am having a problem with my CD-burner. The CD Burner Mitsumi CR-48XFTE is been working much slower over the few past days. I am using the same CDRs so the problem is there. I have been noticing that Nero shows the Buffer Level jumping from 97-98% down to 8-12% and then goes up. I also used the Test Drive option in Nero and it showed that the speed can go up then back down really fast.

Please help me in this.
    your views will be appreciated.

Re: Mitsumi CR-48XFTE CD Burner works too Slow

Although third-party software programs, such as Roxio Easy CD Creator and Nero Burning ROM, have more options for writing to CDs, it isn't hard to do with Windows XP's built-in Windows Media Player 9 and Windows Explorer. But, as nearly every computer user just getting started with CD burning (writing) comes to realize, there are a few pitfalls to avoid.

One major hazard is trying to burn a CD-R (CD-recordable) or CD-RW (CD-rewriteable) at a write speed that's too fast. Although you can reuse a CD-RW if you burn it incorrectly, any error when your drive is writing to CD-R will probably make the disc permanently unreadable. Such a useless disc is called a coaster, and it's a rite of passage to have at least one resting under your coffee mug.

A "safe" CD-R write speed depends upon your drive and the blank CD-Rs you put into it. CD-RW drive speeds are expressed in X values, where 1X is equal to 150KBps (kilobytes per second). For example, a drive that can write at speeds as fast as 40X can write about 6,000KBps, or 6MBps (megabytes per second), near the outer edge of the disc (the last songs on a full audio CD, for example).

Manufacturers sell CD-RW drives with three or four speed ratings, such as 40X/12X/48X. These indicate the drive's maximum CD-R write rate, maximum CD-RW rewrite rate (writing over existing data), and maximum read rate for CD-ROMs and CD-Rs, respectively. If there's a fourth speed rating, as in 40X/12X/48X/48X, the last one is the drive's maximum ripping rate. This expresses how fast the drive can read audio tracks from a CD so the host computer can convert them to files, such as MP3 or WMA (Windows Media Audio) files.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Would something be interrupting the steady transfer of data to the buffer?

Try bringing up the 'Performance' applet from the Management console and see if there's anything under strain (although with your specs, it's unlikely).

I'd also do a virus check, just in case. And Enter your Task Manager, and see if there's anything strange in there.
    GF
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

it seems that you're on a windows XP OS'ed system with decent specs. i have a p4 3 ghz, 512 mb ddr sdram, 48x cdrw, with a whole lotta other stuff. the problem might inlie in your BIOS settings.

go to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > click DEVICE MANAGER

now you should see a section called "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS". expand that list, and there should be 3 items. dbl click wherever the IDE channels (primary master/slave or secondary master/slave) the cdrw drive is connected to (assuming that your cdrw drive is an internal IDE one), and click the ADVANCED SETTINGS tab. if any of your "Current Transfer Modes" are under "PIO" instead of DMA, then this is your problem.

When you start up your computer, get into your BIOS menu, and check your IDE/ATAPI drive settings. i have a dell, and dell, by default, turned the primary slave and the secondary slave to "off". i just had to change that value to "auto" and it started working fine for me.

What model of burner do you have? Do you have the current drivers? Have you got the latest patch for Nero? Do you have the problem when you use the old drive or is it strictly the new one? Is it on the same cable has a hard drive?

One thing to remember is that the buffer is designed to prevent "coasters" when you burn. The data may not flow fast enough at times so your buffer may dip occasionally as it performs it's job. If it does it every time, dips below 1/2, or is causing bad burns, then you need to investigate further. Otherwise it may not be anything serious.