Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-12-2008

XBOX 360 problem

I basically use my XBOX 360 as a media player for music. It was working properly before, but suddenly both of my computers are no longer found on network. One is running Vista, and one XP pro, and both have WMP 11 with Media sharing tuned on. Both can see the Xbox without problem. Moreover the Vista computer and the XBOX 360 works properly with Media Center, I can play all songs and pics, but Divx isn't supported in media center extender on XBOX 360 resulting me unable to play musics in games.

I called XBOX support but they were unable to solve the issue. I have not changed anything then why is this happening to me.

I checked Windows Firewall settings but it shouldn't be the reason for the problem. I have even opened up all the necessary ports.
Old 26-12-2008

Re: XBOX 360 problem

Here are some common issues.

First make sure that the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is started. For some reason, the service was stopped on my computer.

1. Log on to your computer as an administrator.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Run box, type services.msc.
4. In Services, find "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", and then verify that the Status column indicates Started.
5. If the service is stopped, double click on the service. A window should pop up.
6. In that window, ensure that the startup type is "Automatic."
7. Click on the Start button in that window to start up the service.
8. Close the services windows and see if you can view your media on the XBox.

Services that must be started:
SSDP Discovery - Must be started before the other two UPnP Device Host
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Problems with DRM files.
If you upgrade your computer's processor or hard drive or some other hardware components, your DRM files may no longer be valid.
Old 26-12-2008

Have you checked your network cards and cables whether they are properly fixed? You can also try some different cables?
Old 26-12-2008

I am having the same set up as you and pretty the same problem as you, and it never worked at all in my case. I tried the same set up with my old XBOX and it was working fine and both the computers can communicate without any issue. But for this set up, the vista machine is too slow.

So I concluded that this is the problem with the Windows Vista.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,