Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 15-12-2008

Apple Mac: a new high-end clone

If the firm seems Psystar embarking on a legal saga against Apple, EFI-X USA might finally have found a solution to develop a parallel market of Mac OS X. In contrast to Psystar, which attempts to lure the user of Windows, EFI-X USA target the professional market, even those who already own a Mac.

A spokesman Efi-X USA AppleInsider explains: "Among these buyers (desktop), I think there are many who wish to acquire something faster."

The system proposed by EFI X-USA board therefore high-end components with a Core 2 Quad processor overclocked and at least clocked at 3.8 GHz with 4 GB of RAM and a graphics card Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS. In terms of storage, machine embeds a hard drive 150 GB spinning at 10 000 rpm coupled with a second disc of 1TB 7200 rpm. Thereafter, other more efficient models will be available with two four or even six quad-core processors.

However, the main component is really the EFI-X adapter, sold $ 199, which replaces the BIOS on the motherboard with a subsystem EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface to) controlling the environment of pre-loading a system. In this way, it will be possible to install a legal copy of Mac OS X very naturally.

Unlike Psystar, EFI-X USA will not Mac OS X by default but explain that the system is compatible. "We want to make this very clear" said the spokesman for the company.

The question is whether the solution proposed by Efi-X USA prove popular and how Apple respond to this new threat. In any case, EFI-X USA seems optimistic: "Apple simply can not block EFI-X because they use the same firmware used on its own machines."

Old 15-12-2008

Re: Apple Mac: a new high-end clone

eh eh, not bad strategy, especially since I am not very tunning of the facts, for once I must admit that the design of the tower is much interesting .

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,