Thread: Toshiba laptop won't switch on

Toshiba laptop won't switch on

Hi, I hope one of you friendly people can point me in the right direction to repair my laptop myself. I build PC's and also work in IT Support, but my broken laptop has me stumped!

It is a fairly old one, a Toshiba Satellite 4060XCDT. It was working fine but now won't switch on whatsoever. I have checked supplied voltage from the external PSU and that is working fine. I even checked by substition and this further confirmed it isn't a supply problem.

Having pulled it apart, I can't see any obvious faults on the board, although I haven't yet pulled the board to check the underside for dry solder joints etc.

I am keeping my fingers crossed someone will read this and enlighten me with a common fault that causes this and offer a solution?

Thank you in advance

Re: Toshiba laptop won't switch on

Sounds like a dead battery - would it work just plugged into the wall or did it HAVE to have battery to function before this happened?

No worries, have pulled the motherboard and found a dry solder joint. Just re-soldered it and put the laptop back together, and am pleased to report is up and running perfectly!

If someone is using this post to try and fix a similar problem, then just look for a loose fitting component, or a blackened area on the reverse of the board.

Thanks all!

Thanx 4 the reply, but if you read my previous post, you will see I have already fixed it!!

No, it wouldn't work when the battery or PS were substituted.

Fault was a broken solder joint on one of the internal components.

Given the component was 3 legged, I assume it was a transistor (?), but my electronics knowledge is a little rusty, so plz excuse me if I am wrong!