Thread: Five reason to avoid Apple 3G iphone

Five reason to avoid Apple 3G iphone

1. The browser

It's certainly best in class for surfing the mobile web - but only when it works. During the seven days the iPhone 3G graced my presence I lost count of the number of times the browser quit without warning before I could get to the bottom of an article I was reading. All that pinching to shrink webpages and accelerometer-fuelled reorientation is all very well but fancy is as fancy does, and if it can't go a few hours without crashing it's just not cool.

2. Web reception

While the odd crash may not sound so bad - though crashing became more 'norm' than odd after a week of use - this was made all the worse by problems with the iPhone's 3G reception. This was never reliable. Even when there apparently was a signal it would often simply not work - or else be so slow as to make browsing painful. On one very slow half-hour bus trip, for instance, I managed to load and read two articles from an online newspaper. If I'd had the real paper in my hand I would have been able to read the whole thing by then.

A simple task like logging into webmail meant leaving the phone for 15 minutes - apparently signing in - only for the operation to fail at the end. This was all the more annoying as I temporarily had no internet at home (therefore no wi-fi for the device to fall back on) and being able to rely on the iPhone for web at home would have been great. But it just couldn't deliver.

3. GPS

This also seemed reluctant to work properly. I had previously seen GPS working on a friend's iPhone - albeit occasionally still inexplicably dropping the homing beacon for long periods - yet my loan phone never seemed able to offer that current location pin-point. It just didn't seem to have any kind of handle on where I was. So that was another feature that - for whatever reason - failed to live up to Apple's 'it just works' mantra.

4. Apps

The iPhone App Store has been lauded as a Steve Jobs stroke of genius - and from a revenue-generating point of view it's clearly doing well for Apple. But the experience for users leaves a fair bit to be desired. Prior to download, information is scant so you often have to download the app in order to find out how it works in practice and whether it's worth having.

Many of the free apps at least are junk - probably to be expected (you get what you pay for, after all). But more info and a more descriptive rating system would be useful here to help users filter what's on offer.

5. The camera

The camera is a disappointment. For such a slick piece of mobile hardware - with such a nice screen - it's difficult not to expect more. But the shiny exterior has another undesirable effect: playing with such a flashy gadget, out and about on London public transport at least, you can't help but feel like you're asking to be mugged. This is a problem with Apple's impeccable branding. A device that epitomises desirability is one that may well end up walking off in someone else's pocket. So at the end of the seven days it was only a relief to pack the shiny hardware back off to Apple and get back to using my battered old Sony Ericsson instead. Scratched and chunky it may be but it works - more than can be said, in my experience, of Apple's iPhone.

One of my friend told me that his Apple 3g iPhone doesnt sync with any other mobile phones, so it is just a complete waste of money to buy this phone.

Slow iPhone 3G data speeds. A recent survey conducted by Wired Magazine has found that the speed of the iPhone 3G varies significantly from carrier to carrier, and that devices’ slow data speeds in some areas may have much more to do with the quality of the 3G network they’re running on than with the devices themselves. T-Mobile, which offers the iPhone 3G in Germany, offered the fastest average data speeds at 1,822Kbps, while iPhone 3G users in Australia experienced the slowest speeds at 759Kbps.