Thread: My USB drive cannot initialise

My USB drive cannot initialise

Hi

My problem is my Seagate expansion 500 MB was somehow corrupted when running norton windoctor. The disk could not be read, although when I plug it into the computer it recognises it as a USB drive, but does not show in My Computer.

I have tried a number of things but nothing seems to work. In properties, the drive shows as working normally, the driver is updated, but none of the data recovery software can read anything off the drive even though it appears to be scanning it.

The partition and MBR sectors seem to be mising as well.

The final straw, I decided to use Disk Management to initialise the disk as it prompted me to. But that failed as well, saying the sector cannot be found.

Strangely, the 500GB disk is showing up as 2TB in disk management and recovery devices. Anyone know why?

Does this mean my drive is a goner? It's hardly been used, about 2 years old but used only to store backups, and then I keep it in the drawer. It was working fine up until the last time I plugged it in. I have drives running for 10 years without problems, I just can't believe this one is failed just like that.

I saw a thread here sometime ago, hopefully someone can help please!
    Tks
    Al

Re: My USB drive cannot initialise

First of all remove all the other hard drives and usb drives from your compututer. Did you try to use the Seagate data recovery software to access the files in your hard drive, follow the below link to get it:
    http://www.seagate.com/services-soft...very-software/

If you see the drive pass then try to set it up again by using DISKPART command. If you are on Windows 7 then click on Start and then Type Command on the Start search box. After you get the results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator and then in the cmd type DISKPART. After that type List Disk which will show you all the disk drives that are currently detected (eg. Disk 0 , Disk 1)
    Please type Select Disk 1

Replace (1) with the corresponding number listed on the List Disk for the hard drive that you want to erase. DISK 0 is your boot drive. Please DO NOT select this disk. Now type Clean, press Enter, then reboot the computer. (This will delete all partition and data on the drive) You should now be able to perform a long format on the hard disk drive.