Poll: Favorite Start menu alternative in Windows 8

Thread: Favorite Start menu alternative in Windows 8

Favorite Start menu alternative in Windows 8

As we know that in Windows 8 has a Metro UI instead of the usual Start Menu. Many people have liked it and many people didn’t. There have been many alternatives to have different kinds of start menus in the systems. Some are developed by third parties some are just tweaked options which are made to act like menus. I would have used many of these Start Menu alternatives. I would like to know the opinion of the people who must have used some of these alternatives for the start menus. What are your opinion people about various methods to get the start menu in Windows 8?

Re: Favorite Start menu alternative in Windows 8

I have used the native Start menu that can be enabled using the registry key editing process. I think that this type of start menu is best for purpose of getting the old type of menu. I have been using Windows 7 and I am habituated to using its menu. After getting the native menu, I am so happy, it has made the operation of Windows 8 just like the Windows 7. All we have to do is to edit the following key -
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and change its value to RPEnabled to ‘0’ and you will have the menu of Windows 7.

Another method that I used and actually was to create the Start Menu Toolbar. I had added a small toolbar besides the Quick Launch Bar which acted as the menu. All I had to do was to create a shortcut of Start Menu at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows on the desktop and then add it to Taskbar using new toolbar and then add this shortcut to it. This is great method and is really helpful when it comes to creating the shortcuts.

Another method of creating a Start Menu is by 7stack method. You have to follow the same method of creating Start Menu shortcut on desktop. Then we can change its logo to something close to Windows and then pin it to the task bar. Even this method is really helpful and I have found it worth trying. I think this is the best method and it also provides us features to add various options like shutdown, log off, restart and so on. Only one needs to know is the way to create shortcuts for all these options.

Even Stardock introduced a Start Menu for Windows 8. It added a start menu just like Windows 7. You will need to download it from the website of Stardock and then install it in your PC. Once done, you will get menu. It will match the color of task bar and other interface details. This Start Menu is named as Start8. Also there is availability of Windows 7 like menu which will behave in the same way as that of Windows 7. You can try out this menu also if you want to.

I think that the default menu of Windows 8, which is Metro UI is the best menu. I mean why you want to modify the original menu and spoil the originality of it. The Metro menu is nice looking with a good interface. You get so many options t modify it in numerous ways. You can play along with its pattern and colors, you can modify its behavior as you want to. Also installing different Start Menu will destroy the actual Windows 8 by putting in something that doesn’t fit in its right place. I prefer using Metro UI in Windows 8 and I don’t think that anybody can replace it.