Poll: What is your favorite OS virtualization program?

Thread: What is your favorite OS virtualization program?

What is your favorite OS virtualization program?

I want to use the Red Hat Linux in my computer which already has Windows 7. I want to use OS virtualization program on my computer. The problem is that I have chosen three virtualization programs for this work, which are VMware, Virtualbox and Virtual PC. But I have no idea which one of this is good for use and which has best features. Can someone help me choose the best out of this?

Re: What is your favorite OS virtualization program?

If you are searching for a virtualization program for use at home, then I would say that VMware is best for your use. It is a virtualization program that will provide you with option for many operating systems than the others. Also it is lighter in operation than others which means it will consume fewer resources in your computer as compared to others. Also VMware allows you to set the amount of RAM or processor you want it to consume. The best part about this virtualization program is that you can add multiple operating systems in it and operate them together in various tabs.

You can try Virtualbox on your computer. This virtualization software is freely available on internet for download and use. Though this virtualization program is free, you will find numerous features and add-ons to use along with it that will enhance the way you use it. Also it is open source software which means if you master the use of this software, then you can develop additional features and programs for it all by yourself. I think if you are a student who wants to study virtualization in the computer, then virtualbox is the best virtualization program for your use. It will help you in your research and other such stuff.

The Windows Virtual PC is somewhat old product and I think that you should leave it out of your list. I don’t even think it is available now. When it was released, it was available for free and was used by many. But as the time passed, it started losing its identity as other virtualization programs started to appear. But now if you use Windows 7, you will find that you get an option to run the software or executable application in compatibility mode with other older softwares. His also is a kind of virtualization program. When you select a software to run in mode compatible with Windows XP, files related to Windows XP are being used in background.

If you need a virtualization program for an office like environment, then I say that VMware is best for the use. It provides many features that will help you for professional use as well as for personal use. It also provides options to remotely access other computers present in your office area. Also it has features like data disaster recovery and so on. You can even use VMware on office server which will help you to maintain the records and the data in your computer. I think you should give VMware a try before deciding on some other virtualization program.

If you want virtualization program to work in an environment like that of software development or so, then I’d say that Virtualbox is a great for you. With a large number of options available for various operating systems, I think you can run every needed operation needed for your use. You can test the softwares that you have made on various operating systems for checking various properties of the software. Also it will be helpful to check if there is any bug or error that occurs in some specific operating system. You won’t need to recode, retest in various computers as you will find many operating systems in just one PC.

I am a game developer and I develop the browser based games. Now when I have to check if the game that I have developed works on majority of web browsers on various operating systems, I prefer using VMware. I have installed various operating systems on it, like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu, Red Hat Linux and so on. So this makes my work easier and thus I can test my game on almost every major operating system. So if you need to do some work like porting where you need to check some common thing on various websites, I think that VMware is best virtualization program for this purpose.