Poll: How often do you backup data on your computer?

Thread: How often do you backup data on your computer?

How often do you backup data on your computer?

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how often do people make backup of their data. I take backup of my data every week to ensure that all the work I had done over the week doesn’t get lost. I have seen many people taking backup almost every day, some never take the backup of their data or sometimes the data storage is connected to the PC and the new files created on the computer get transferred n this external storage in real time. Can people share their opinion and period of making backup of data?

Re: How often do you backup data on your computer?

I usually take the backup of my data in computer every week on my external hard disk. This helps me to save the data that I work upon so that in case of any loss or problem with the computer. I can load it on my laptop and continue working on it. Many times it happens that I am leaving for my office and I encounter lot of traffic on the streets.

So I know that reaching the office will take much time, so I open my laptop in the car itself and work on my laptop By the time I reach my office, I get my the work completed as much as possible. I think this is how backup for me works.

My work involves lot of time to be spent on internet. I need to visit a large number of websites to do research and all other stuff. Nowadays we know that internet is filled with virus. One wrong click and virus can make hell out of your computer. My computer has been attacked by the virus many times and I have lost some data because of it. But now I make backup of data within every three to four days to save data from some random virus attack. Also it makes sharing easy. If some of my colleague needs some file, I just pass on my hard disk and he/she takes whatever needed without repeated questioning.

I have made arrangement in my office such that data of every employee will be stored in their PC as well as on their server. I don’t know how the tech guys did it, but the server keeps refreshing the connection to the employee’s computer every 15 minutes. So if any new data is found in the folder where he/she stores the work files, they are copied to the server automatically. These files are then deleted after three days from the server too. But it is a god method in case the computer crashes or some problem happens. The user can just sit on other PC and retrieve the data from the server. So I think this is the real time backup that I use in office.

I never take backup as I don’t feel that I need to. I am a student and most of my projects are of short duration. I think that maintaining PC properly will not cause any problem of data loss. Regularly cleaning the hardware keeps the PC working fine. Also having the anti-virus softwares in the computer updated will protect the data from viruses and other such malicious stuff. I have rarely experienced any crashes and I always keep the anti-virus activated. Also I don’t use pirated stuff which makes the computer most vulnerable to the damage. I have never felt any need of getting backup of my data. I don’t know maybe in future I might need to make backup of data I use.

I make backup of things that I need to preserve for long time. I am a music composer by profession and I need to save the tunes and the songs I compose. The songs and the tunes might come in use at any point of time. So losing them will get me in total loss. I take backup regularly. Even if I compose a smallest tune, I make a copy of it in my external hard disk. I think that this will help me in future if I need to make a composition based on a same existing tune. I use various softwares for editing the audio and the music. These softwares many times overwrite the existing music, so I need to take backup every now and then.

I work in a company where there are three working shifts in a day. So the computer I use is actually used by three people in a day. Every person who uses the computer installs his software or copies his data on it. So because of this many times the computer gets overloaded and crashes. So making backup of my data always helps. I can get my data on hands any time needed. When the computer crashes, I can restore the data from my hard disk whenever needed. I think a person working in an office where more than one person uses a same computer, making backups is very much needed. One can’t expect the other person to be careful not to damage the computer in any manner.