Poll: Which is the best Game Engines?

Thread: Unity 3d vs. Unreal Development Kit vs. CryEngine 3

Unity 3d vs. Unreal Development Kit vs. CryEngine 3

At present a game needs to have a game engine to be developed. Nowadays, we see that almost every game developer or game developing company has a specific engine using which their games are developed. I have played various games ranging from web browser based to mobile games to PC games to console games. Out of all this games, some favorite games that I have played were developed on either Unity 3d, Unreal Development Kit or CryEngine 3. In other words I can say that games developed on following engines have been good. I would like to know from other people about which game engine they like the most.

Re: Unity 3d vs. Unreal Development Kit vs. CryEngine 3

I think that CryEngine 3 is the best game engine available in the market today. Did you see the quality of textures and effects that are generated using it? Crysis 3 is the proof of the game engine’s quality. The characters look like they are real and the foliage looks great. Also the other factors like lighting and effects are great. You can actually see the shadows of the trees, bushes and leaves on the surroundings like in real. Also the quality of the shadows is so good that you can actually distinguish one leaf from other. Also the effects like blasts, sparks and other effects can be excellently developed. Even the effects of the fluids are so impressive that you feel that water might splash on your face. For me CryEngine 3 is the best.

Maybe Cryengine 3 is good for you but I think that it is heavy on resources. Not just the developers have to spend high amount of resources but even the user who is playing the game need to have high amount of resources. As compared to it, Unreal Development Kit is more resource friendly. Games developed using Unreal Development Kit does not need much resources and the game is also of good quality. Also games developed using Unreal Development Kit is not bad. Games like Unreal Tournament, Borderlands 2 or Dungeons. I think that collisions provided by Unreal Development Kit are much better than CryEngine 3. I think it is not just graphics that need to be high quality, but also the gameplay and other effects have to be great.

I think that Unity 3d is the best game engine because of its flexibility over various platforms. One can develop games for Web browser, mobile phones, smartphones, PC as well as consoles. I know the quality of graphics is not high as that of Unreal Development Kit or CryEngine 3. But the resources consumed by Unity 3d for both developer and end user are very low. One can develop a low end game that can be run on web browser as well as java phones. Games made for web browser and phones should be of low end because the resources needed to run these games are limited. You can’t expect every user who wants to play browser based game to have a high speed internet. Also smartphones don’t have high end processor or dedicated graphics. So at this time, I think that Unity 3d provides better features than any other high end game engine.

I think that Unreal Development Kit provides better features needed to make a game. As we saw in Bordelands and in Borderlands 2, how the graphics have been converted into comic like figures. The colors and the cartoonish like feel are not seen in the CryEngine 3. We have seen that Transformer: Fall of Cybertron is made on Unreal Development Kit. The complexity of making the transformers is so high. It has so many parts on its body pus the animation for every part is so high end. I don’t think that such thing is even possible on CryEngine 3, forget about Unity 3d. Talking about the Transformer: Fall of Cybertron, the animations of the transformers are so accurate that you can actually see every small part opening and closing. This is why I like Unreal Development Kit.

I think if anybody wants realism in their games, then CryEngine 3 is the best game engine that anybody can find. Didn’t anyone see the graphics of FarCry 3; the foliage is of such high quality. The effects achieved in CryEngine 3 like that of sunlight passing through the leaves or the sunlight reflecting on water looks so real that if a screenshot is shown, one won’t be able to distinguish between the real picture and the virtual picture. I’d say that the CryEngine 3 is the future of gaming world. The fluids look so real that one time will come when effects like water will become so common; I think that CryEngine 3 is going to bring a revolution in the virtual world greatly and it will continue to dominate. Also CryEngine 3 doesn’t need some amateur people to handle, only professional people who have good knowledge of game design and other factors are known to handle it.

Talking about engine handling then I think that Unity 3D is easiest one to handle. Any person with basic knowledge of developing a 3d art and programming can develop games using Unity 3D. I think this is what makes it different from other game engines. A person with basic knowledge too can develop games; this widens the scope of game development among many people. You don’t have to be a professional. Also the games developed on Unity 3D don’t require high amount of resource. A person having a decent 1 GB RAM in his computer can also create a low end game.

I am amazed how high quality collisions and crushing effects can be generated using CryEngine 3. I was watching the gameplay demo of Crysis 3 and there was a scene where the character was standing just besides the stairs. At this moment, a helicopter sent a missile which blasted near his feet. This missile sent him flying back crashing down the stairs. This was the first time where I saw that in a game such good quality collisions are too possible. While falling backwards we are able to see legs of the character. With every stair he rubs his back, the legs and the body bounces according to the stairs. Now this is what I call realism. I don’t think that such high levels of collisions are even possible in Unreal Development Kit and Unity 3d.

I have never seen CryEngine’s any version being used to develop fantasy or out of the world graphics. All I have seen is the realistic graphics and some industrial type of graphics. Using the Unreal Development Kit, one can develop graphics needed for ancient type of environment or fantasy fairy tales like environments. These environments are high on polygons as the ancient buildings had too many carvings on it.

In Crysis game, all I saw was modern buildings which are flat on most of the sides. I have played some games developed on Unreal Development Kit that have extreme level of detailing. Even the Borderlands games have heavy detailing as it shows post apocalyptic world with broken building and other broken stuff all around.

I am an interior decorator and from my point of view where I don’t use game engines to make game but to make an interactive model of my designs, I think that Unity 3d is the best game engine. I don’t have much knowledge about programming but I can make models in 3D software like 3Ds Max and import them on Unity 3d and put a camera and send it to my client as an interactive interior design. I don’t need some high end PC to develop it; neither do I need my client to have a high end computer. The effects lighting and texture generated in Unity 3d is of decent level enough to demonstrate how an interior will look. Using CryEngine 3 or Unreal Development Kit means to havegood knowledge of programming, also the output might come so heavy that client’s PC won’t support it. So its Unity 3d for me.