We know that Windows 8 Consumer preview has released couple of months ago. The main feature of new version of windows is Metro UI. Basically it is designed for touch screen support. Also it is called as Windows RT, it means one can use it with ARM devices like tablets that are having touchscreen interfaces.
Following are the Main features of Windows 8
- There is no plugin support in Internet Explorer 10 and it is included into Metro Style app. However desktop version of the same would have support for it.
- You will be able to sync computer settings through an internet connection whenever you login on Microsoft account.
- Couple of authentication methods are introduced on new OS which are, picture password where you can draw three gestures into different places on pictures at the time of login. Second pin where user will be identified entering 4 digit pin.
- Windows Explorer will have ribbon toolbar. Also it will have file operation progress dialog that should be let you know about file transfer , there would be less conflict while doing the same.
- ‘advanced hibernation functionality’ functionality is introduced to improve booting time of the system.
- Booting of device can be done by using Windows To Go
- Refresh and Reset functions are introduced , Refresh will restore all Windows files to original state irrespective of making any changes into files, Metro UI and settings. Whereas Reset function will take system to factory settings.
Totally new and enhanced Windows Task Manager is introduced in Windows 8
Linux Mint 13
Linux Mint 13 Maya RC has been released recently. The new distro is available in two versions which are MATE 1.2 and Cinnamon 1.4. the new OS is developed on Ubuntu 12.04. apart from MATE and Cinnamon they had released totally new Display Manager which is called as MDM. It is based on GDM, however there are lots of customization and new features are involved with the same.
MATE 1.2 is having same look and feel as that of Gnome 2 desktop. Most of Linux distros were neglected Gnome 2. Hence all developed came together started new project named MATE to save it.
Advantages of using Mate
- It is very Stable and can be used on all computers. One can easily use the same.
- It does have support for mintMenu, mintDesktop, Compiz. It has GTK2 so there are more themes and applications available as compared to other desktop.
Disadvantages of Using Mate
- Some features such as Bluetooth support are not migrated to MATE from Gnome 2 so it wont work in MATE.
We know that Gnome 2 is an essential part of Linux Mint. So Linux Mint developer started to provide completely new environment Cinnamon. It is developed on Clutter and Gnome 3. There are lots of advanced features are introduced such as composting, animations, etc.
Advantages using Cinnamon
There are lots of modern features are introduced on Cinnamon and it provides better production environment over traditional one.
Disadvantages using Cinnamon
- 3D acceleration would not work as expected due to graphic card or drivers issue.
- It is not stable as compared to other desktop environment available into the market.
- It is developed on Gnome 3 and Clutter , so there are lots of changes to be made on the same.
MDM is new display manager introduced on Linux Mint 13. It provides features such as graphical configuration tools, theme ability, remote, automatic and timed login and many more features as compared to other display manager.
Apart from above mentioned things , Mint-X and Mint-Z themes are having better support for GTK3.
Now tell me which one should be better? Windows 8 or Linux Mint 13.which operating system will you like to use?