Poll: OpenSolaris vs OpenSuse

Thread: OpenSolaris vs OpenSuse

OpenSolaris vs OpenSuse

Which OS is the best according to you guys? I have to install any one of this system on my computer. I want to know which one is better and why? I hope i get a proper help. For those who cannot reply, do vote...

Re: OpenSolaris vs OpenSuse

OpenSolaris is an open source operating system based on Sun Microsystems' Solaris. It is also the name of the project initiated by Sun to build a developer and user community around it. OpenSolaris is derived from the Unix System V Release 4 codebase, with significant modifications made by Sun since it bought the rights to that code in 1994. It is the only open source System V derivative available. While openSUSE is a general purpose operating system built on top of the Linux kernel, developed by the community-supported openSUSE Project and sponsored by Novell. After acquiring SUSE Linux in January 2004, Novell decided to release the SUSE Linux Professional product as a 100% open source project, involving the community in the development process.

If you are new user to Linux i would suggest you to download Ubuntu. Have a look at the Ubuntu Installation Guide.

I recommened you to use Fedora as it is based on RedHat Linux and is the best linux when it comes to server linux operating systems. About ReadHat : Red Hat, Inc. is a company in the free and open source software sector, and a major Linux distribution vendor. Founded in 1993, Red Hat has its corporate headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina with satellite offices worldwide. Red Hat has become associated to a large extent with its enterprise operating system Red Hat Enterprise Linux and with the acquisition of open-source enterprise middleware vendor JBoss. Red Hat provides operating-system platforms along with middleware, applications, and management products, as well as support, training, and consulting services.

Use Debain OS, Ubuntu is derived from debian and you can use Ubuntu and othe derivates of debian if you can use this OS well... Debian is a computer operating system composed of software packages released as free and open source software especially under the GNU General Public License and other open source licenses. The primary form, Debian GNU/Linux, which uses the Linux kernel and GNU OS tools, is a popular and influential Linux distribution. It is distributed with access to repositories containing thousands of software packages ready for installation and use. Debian is known for strict adherence to the Unix and free software philosophies as well as using collaborative software development and testing processes. Debian can be used as a desktop as well as server operating system.