A download manager is a computer program dedicated to the task of downloading (and sometimes uploading) possibly unrelated stand-alone files from (and sometimes to) the Internet for storage. This is unlike a World Wide Web browser, which is mainly intended to browse web pages, composed of a multitude of smaller files, where error-free moving of files for permanent storage is of secondary importance. The typical download manager at a minimum provides means to recover from errors without losing the work already completed, and can optionally split the file to be downloaded (or uploaded) into 2 or more segments, which are then moved in parallel, potentially making the process faster within the limits of the available bandwidth. Multi-source is the name given to files that are downloaded in parallel.
Free Download Manager
Free Download Manager (FDM) is a free open source graphical download manager for the Microsoft Windows operating system with support for Windows Vista. Although the FDM website claims it only runs on 32-bit releases of Windows, testing has proved that it also runs on 64-bit releases of Windows (although in 32-bit mode). FDM was previously proprietary software, but with the release of version 2.5 it is now free software.
- Adds 2 Automator Action to Get Safari Download Manager, Run AppleScript Action.
- To Speeds up the Automator building process.
- Automator Actions Added:
- Download URLs (Safari Action);
- Open Finder Items/open with Safari.app (Finder Action)
- Also Includes new Installer and User Instructions.
- Enable the debug menu
- Remove the underlines from hyperlinks
- Make the status text in the downloads window and bookmarks sidebar more readable
- Disables Safari’s cache entirely
- Set a minimum font size for webpages
- Change colours of hyperlinks
- Remove and restore the brushed metal appearance
- Wipe the site icon cache
- Importing bookmarks from any HTML file, and directly from Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape, Camino, OmniWeb (imperfect), and iCab
- Configure history menu and history item limits
- Change the search engine used in the Safari toolbar
Download Accelerator Plus
Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) is a closed source software download manager for Microsoft Windows.
According to SpeedBit (developer of DAP), Download Accelerator Plus has approximately 157 million users worldwide. A free version and a premium version exist. It has a number of features like scheduled download and auto Internet disconnection and/or shutting down of computer upon download completion. DAP also provides auto antivirus scanning of downloaded contents by integrating with the antivirus software (such as Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan or AVG Anti-Virus) present in the OS, though this feature may not work properly with some antivirus applications. DAP integrates with Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and Opera, and most recently in its 18.104.22.168 beta, Google Chrome. DAP 8.5 has a file security check, provided by ZoneAlarm, which will alert the user that he/she is about to download or run a potentially dangerous file. In DAP version 8.7 the file security was retained but the service was moved to Webroot. With the move to DAP 9 the file security is handled by SpeedBit itself through a collection of AntiVirus softwares.
Internet Download Accelerator
Internet Download Accelerator, often called IDA, is a shareware download manager created by WestByte Software for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Supports HTTP, HTTPS and FTP (over SSL/TSL) servers.
- Supports proxy (NTLM and NTLM-proxy authentication).
- Interfaces well with web browsers: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Netscape and others.
- User-friendly and customizable GUI.
- Plug-ins and skins support.
- Advanced Visual Cart technology: download without opening the main program windows.
- Has a floating window including download speed indicator, active downloads indicators, and cart for dragging links.
- Has a FTP browser.
- Automated management of download categories.
- ZIP and RAR archives preview-able.
- Multilingual support.
FlashGet is a leading download manager and has the highest amount of users on the internet. It uses MHT(Multi-server Hyper-threading Transportation) technique, supports various protocols and has excellent document management features. FlashGet is a freeware without any adware or spyware. FlashGet supports HTTP,FTP,BT,MMS,RTSP and other protocols. It is seamless between protocols and there is no need to operate manually for download switch. The One Touch technique optimizes BT download and can automatically download target files after getting seeds information, hence no need to operate again.
Orbit Downloader, leader of download manager revolution, is devoted to new generation web (web2.0) downloading, such as video/music/streaming media from Myspace, YouTube, Imeem, Pandora, Rapidshare, support RTMP. And to make general downloading easier and faster.
Orbit Downloader is a free graphical download manager for the Microsoft Windows operating system. One of the main features of the program is its ability to grab and download embedded Flash Video files from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe etc. Orbit Downloader also accelerates downloads by acting as a peer-to-peer client, utilizing bandwidth of other users.
Internet Download Manager
Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a tool to increase download speeds by up to 5 times, resume and schedule downloads. Comprehensive error recovery and resume capability will restart broken or interrupted downloads due to lost connections, network problems, computer shutdowns, or unexpected power outages. Simple graphic user interface makes IDM user friendly and easy to use. Internet Download Manager has a smart download logic accelerator that features intelligent dynamic file segmentation and safe multipart downloading technology to accelerate your downloads. Unlike other download managers and accelerators Internet Download Manager segments downloaded files dynamically during download process and reuses available connections without additional connect and login stages to achieve best acceleration performance.
So which is the best according to you?