Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Modding

So after a Looooooooong time things started to roll (Actually i have to say fly) oncemore.I was searching for a spare side panel for my cabinet and also for 80 conductor cables.None of the vendors here knew what a 80 conductor cable was.
    so yesterday i went to a shop for asking if he had those IDE cables.He had those and was willing to sell em for 50rs. each.As luck would have it he also had the exact same side panel as of my cab..

so today i made my first rounded IDE cables by cutting the wires.I found the 80 c cables were too thin compared to normal ones.So i first put a small cut with a blade and started pulling one strand while keeping the other one stationary.
    Some copper was visible from the wires. so i put a transparent cello tape around the whole length of the wire.Now i am testing the cable by putting tat on my CD-RW and running nero DAE quality and cd speed test.

Thanx for allu guys for u r help with my first modding project.
    tomorrow ill cut my pannel.

Update:
    Today i cut the pannel and bought some acrylic sheet,some LEDs,Resistors and screws.
    Now i am stuck at the acrylic sheet.I want to shape it in the shape of the handle like thing on the pannel and i dunno howor with what to cut it(The sheet was cut at the shop to the exact size.).And I wanted to know in which way to put the LEDs(Bleu and RED) to get the Max. brightness i.e. in series or in parallel?

some pics of my modded cabinet...the led baybus n all the leds have been removed now (got some new uv ccfls...will post pics soon)
    pics r of low quality...cause taken with darks dvcam, not a digital camera
    my friend helped in the electrical wiring part of the led baybus, baaki all done by yours truly ..chinky dremel zindabad!!]

side view of the case -

uv led -

exhaust fans at the top -

120mm inlet in the front -

fans on the right side (blowing directly on the hdds) -

changed my hdd n power led too (blue for hdd n green for power) -

led baybus -

active fan duct -

home made ram sinks for my gfmx440 (its changed now, using darks 5600 videosuite)

full rig (don't laugh guys ) -

Last edited by apollyon; 08-06-2004 at 08:10 AM.

SunMysore Guest
    wonderful appolyon.......B E A Uuuuuuutiful.......

@mask:

making a fan duct eliminates the problem of not-cooling of the region directly under the fan motor ( no air circulation under the motor ), by increasing the distance between the heatsink and fan. am i right????

oh yeah......i hav made a similar baybus for my trilight led fan and for the tube, but the electrician ain't available, so its incomplete.....

@masky, the fan duct was the easiest of the lot....u need a 80mm fan, a 70mm pvc drainage pipe (heheheee) n 4 wire ties...make 4 holes in the four corners of the fans structure n four corresponding holes in the pvc pipe...using the wire ties fasten the pipe tightly to the fan....cut a hole in the acrylic sheet right above the heatsink+fan using a 80mm template (and a dremel...again..a modders best friend)...fix the fan duct n ur done...
    drops temps by nearly 3-4C

Ok today i got my cam so here are the pics of what i have done so far:

PIC1:
    This is what happened when i tried to cut the side pannel.Although the paint was scratched ill try to re paint it.but the finish was excellent

PIC2:
    The lighting is taken care of by 5Red Transparent bright LEDs and the same type of 4 blue LEDs and i have to still add another5 of both colors

PIC3:
    The whole cabinet in the dark.(sorry no lighting for enough brightness!)

Quote Originally Posted by SunMysore
    i jussssst love the clikaty clak opf the TVS keyboards....its on a 486 below, i love to go there and work DOS on that k/b...........
    You like clikaty clak keyboards !!! I have the ultimate one of these types - the original IBM - this is one of the noisiest keyboards I have ever used - once you use one of these keyboards you will never want to change. This keyboard is really solid and heavy - weighs a ton.

If you want to see some out of this world keyboards check out this page... would you believe Keyboards for $579.99.....

http://www.safecomputing.com/contouredkey.html
    Last edited by old fart; 13-06-2004 at 07:50 AM.
    Intel rules
    AMD drools

so guys finally my mod is completed yesterday.It looks quite OK.

Mooved around the internal modem and TV tuner to the bottom so that there is space around the heatsink of AGP card.

Put a 120mm AC fan (100CFM) blowing directly over the agp card.Believe meits really effective.Before u could not even touch the HD while on full load.now its only warm.

SunMysore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ani_meher
    Wish I cud do some mods :-( ......
    hehehe...anyone can mod....here are the prerequisites...

1. Creative mind ( verrry important )
    2. Soldering skills.
    3. Money

I left modding coz of unavailability of time.....that was the best part of my life

Here is mine. fully moded server full tower cabinet.
    It was all white, painted it black, made a side window.
    I even painted the CD-RW drive and DVD rom front pannels
    Config.
    P4 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, watercooled
    ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard
    1GB PC 3200 Hynix ( argh...)
    Mighty Geforce 6800GT 256 MB graphic card
    17" LG FLATRON ( got new 19" LCD now, these pics are old)
    2x120GB SATA ( 1 failed so its now gone for replacement).
    SB LIVE 5.1
    ASUS DVD ROM
    ASUS CDRW
    Sony FDD
    Creative inspire 4400 speakers
    TT AQ2 watercooling system.
    Custom modified server case, painted by me, made a window cut with LED fans

Quote Originally Posted by apollyon
    chinky stuff = approx rs1500-3000, original Dremel or Black N Decker = rs9000
    cutting discs = rs12 for normal, rs80 for reinforced ones
    Any idea as to where I can Buy Dremels in Bangalore? the Multi speed one in paricular.Also is there any way of crimping the inner edges of the panel after cutting it without ruining the powder coating?

SunMysore Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    Any idea as to where I can Buy Dremels in Bangalore? the Multi speed one in paricular.Also is there any way of crimping the inner edges of the panel after cutting it without ruining the powder coating?
    just get it professionally cut....

our guy costs Rs50 to cut each panel of custom design...hell, i even got some sexy fan grills cut by him

Mjhieu Guest

Re: Case Modding

Hello every one, I just join this forum.

I just wonder where i can buy water cooling system parts in pune, right now i live at kondwa of pune, because I bring my whole computer system to india to study approach, and it already mod with water cooling system, I got a little worry if my pump die, so if anyone know where to buy pls let me know....thanks in advance!

This is my rig!

hi...im new to this forum . its really gud to see some people genuinely intrested in modding .im now workin on my cpu case mod ..your advice n criticisms can help me ..do i need to upload pics to a site inorder to show it here?

Hello JGK-JGK,
    Don't bump on old topic & create a new one of your own.
    If you have any question on modding your CPU please give us the details so that we can help you better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast