Thread: How to overclock Q6600 to 3.2GHz and more

How to overclock Q6600 to 3.2GHz and more

I am using a Gigabyte motherboard with Q6600 G0 processor clocked at 2.4ghz. I am using 2x2gb ram with 500 watts power supply. I was able to run the processor at 3ghz but in the summer season the pc started crashing a lot. Now that I have upgraded my video card to geforce 600 series, I want to get more performance from my system. But when I am trying to run this CPU even with just 100mhz more then it will freeze and give me blue screen error. I have changed its different settings but nothing is working for me. Does anyone know how do I get more output from my system, can anyone please help? Thanks.

Re: How to overclock Q6600 to 3.2GHz and more

Well, you havent mentioned that whether you are using a CPU cooler or not? I would bet due to the summer season your CPU might be heating up due to overclocking and hence you are getting the crashing problem. A good CPU cooler, that I would recommend you, would be OCZ Vendetta 2. It comes with a 120 mm fan (previously 92 mm) for a dimension of 120 x 50 x 159 mm and three heatpipes. Its fan can rotate at a speed varying between 800 and 1500 rpm.

Can you try to run your system with a different Power Supply, it could be that it wont be getting a stable power or so. Also, it would be good if you can tell us what temperature you are getting under full load? Did you try to clear the BIOS with the help of the jumper? Also try to reseat the CPU on your mobo and reseat the ram as well.

Well, you might need to disable some settings like the Intel SpeedStep that you might have in the BIOS. It might be also possible that one of the chips could be damaged because of overheating due to overclock, which usually happens when you run high voltages. You can also take a look at whether the capacitors are not buldging or so. You can try to rebuild your computer and reseat everything to see what is wrong exactly with your system.