Thread: What is the idle temperature of Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7

What is the idle temperature of Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7

My system has Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge cpu with dual graphic card and 4GB ram. I am having a Msi board. It is an gaming motherboard. To gain more performance I am planning to overclock my system. But I am not really confident in doing the same. I had seen in bios the cpu temperature lies between 50 to 60 degree while on idle. I think this is too high. The cpu fan works fine. But at the time of overclocking I think the temperature will be more higher that will be risky. What should I do.

Re: What is the idle temperature of Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7

There are some tools that can tell you whether you must go for overclocking or not. So it is essential that you must simply use them to find whether your system is better or not. One of them is Prime95. When you run the tool it creates a virtual overclocking environment and give you report at the end about the limit of your system while overclocking. It can tell what pressure at the most your system can handle. So better run this and then only go back for overclocking.

In most of the system that temperature is counted as stable. But I also think that it is a bit high. It is recommended that you must simply check your cpu fan and heatsink. A number of time due to low performance fan and poor heatsink cause the problem. Try to apply the heatsink and then check back. Add a good fan. For overclocking liquid cooling is one of the best way to deal with the problem you are facing. Just try to upgrade your fan. I think that will be enough and use some automated utility for overclocking instead of manual configuration.

There is one more tool that can help you to fix the problem you are facing. It is called as OCCT. I am using this from long time. The tool is similar to Prime95 that helps you to tell you that your system is able to stand overclocking or not. Just download the tool and run. Keep a cpu temperature monitroing app on your screen always that will keep on giving you inforamtion on the current temperature. If it is between 50 to 60 on idle mode then it wil be higher at the time of usage.