Thread: Which one is better for overclocking i5 Sandy, i5 Ivy, i7 Sandy or i7 Ivy

Which one is better for overclocking i5 Sandy, i5 Ivy, i7 Sandy or i7 Ivy

Guys I am planning to upgrade my intel i3 processor, so I want to know which one amongst i5 Sandy, i5 Ivy, i7 Sandy and i7 Ivy will be better for overclocking. I have carried out little bit of overclocking on my intel i3 processor for getting better fps in games and ill do the same on the next one I’ll get. I have checked out all of them and i7 Ivy seems to be having higher multiplier compared to all of them but I doubt if that would actually make much difference???? Any suggestion with a reason regarding this will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Which one is better for overclocking i5 Sandy, i5 Ivy, i7 Sandy or i7 Ivy

If you want to get the best for money than I’ll suggest you to get i5 Ivy, I am not suggesting you Sandy because compared to them Ivy has higher quality chips and they will give you better performance over Sandy. On the other hand i7 Ivy does have higher multiplier but there won’t be much difference compared to i5 Ivy performance as far as overclocking is concerned.
    I really don’t think paying 100$ for i7 Ivy will be worth, you can use the money you will save for updating some other hardware’s.

I’ll suggest you to go with i7 Sandy, not Ivy because you will ruin in to overheating issues for sure. There are so many people who have reported Ivy processors running hot. As far as I am aware there won’t differences in i7 Sandy performance in comparison to i5 Ivy or i7 Ivy even though they have higher quality chips. Since you are planning to overclock your system you will have to deal with thermal paste and all for running i5 Ivy or i7 Ivy cooler. Whereas i7 Sandy will run cooler and it’s cheaper as well. So from the price point of view i7 Sandy will surely be a better deal for you.

Yes Ivy Bridge runs hotter than sandy and it’s likely while overclocking them. In case you are having discrete graphic card than there won’t be any advantage of ivy's built in graphics. Even I don’t think it’s worth paying the extra $, i5 Sandy and i7 Sandy both runs cooler. Since i7 Sandy is having higher multipliers I’ll suggest you to go with it.

See the main difference between the i5 and i7 processors is hyper-threading capabilities. i7 processors has hyper-threading capabilities where as i5 processors don’t. If you are getting it for gaming than i5 2500k or an i5 3570k will be your best choices, there is really no point in spending extra money on i7 processors, instead you can use that for upgrading your graphic card.

I am running i5 2500k since 8 months and it works just great. I have overclocked it till 4.5ghz easily and haven’t faced a single issue by now. No overheating, no freezing, nothing, It’s running quite smoothly. By the way which Graphic card you are having in your system???

I agree, i5 2500k or an i5 3570k will be your best choices. Ivy Bridge processors does have improved architecture compared to the Sandy and there will be 10% increase in performance as well, but while overclocking there will be massive temperature spike. With i5 2500k or an i5 3570k you will get a bit less performance but while overclocking they’ll stay quite stable and you won’t run in to overheating issues at all. You an overclock i5 3570k to 4.7GHz easily and get 10 percent better performance over the stock.