Thread: TurboBoost Intel Core i7 860

TurboBoost Intel Core i7 860

I have an Intel Core i7 860 in my computer and it is pretty good in working when making it work on the stock settings. But I wanted much better performance from it, so I enable the TurboBoost feature from the settings. After enabling this feature, I checked the value of multiplier when in idle state and it showed value as x9. When the computer was running on full load, the value of multiplier was shown as x22. I cannot understand why the processor’s multiplier is not gong above x22. According to specifications, it should be around x26. Can somebody tell me what the problem is?

Re: TurboBoost Intel Core i7 860

Actually Intel Core i7 860 is designed to give multiplier value of x22 only. You will have to overclock the processor to get the full performance from it. After overclocking the processor, the locked cores will get unlocked and the processor will start using it. By default in Intel Core i7 860, the unused cores are in the c3/c6 state. Also by default you will find the AV of the processor to be disabled, you will need to enable it and then use it. Again to get all the processors running in Intel Core i7 860, you will need to have good power supply that will support c6 state for your processor.

Even after basic overclocking of Intel Core i7 860, you will get only 3 to 4 cores unlocked. With this property, the processor won’t go beyond frequency of 2.93 GHz and multiplier value of x 24. You will need to do hardcore overclocking to get the full core unlocking from Intel Core i7 860. With turboboost enabled, the processor would switch on the cores for use when needed and then turn it off when the use was over. But with overclocking, the cores will be unlocked permanently. This can be good in some cases. But f you have any software or application which suffers from problem of memory leak, then the unlocked cores will be filled by it and lead to problems in your system.

For getting x26 multiplier value on your Intel Core i7 860, you will need to have at least 6 cores unlocked in your processor. To unlock these cores not only you must know overclocking very deeply but also have enough resources to undertake it. You will need to have powerful PSU that can supply enough power during overclocking process and after overclocking is completed.

Also you will experience good temperature rises in your CPU, so you should be ready with good cooling devices. See to it that temperature doesn’t exceed above 70 degree Celsius