Thread: ASUS P5G41-M LE with Intel E7500 overclock

ASUS P5G41-M LE with Intel E7500 overclock

Want some advice to overclock a Core 2 Duo cpu on standard motherboard. My motherboard is ASUS P5G41-M LE. Based on Intel G41 Chipset it provides DDR2 ram support with 1333 / 1066 / 800 FSB depending on the need. My CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 (3M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB).

The cpu is not bad at all, but I am expecting to overclock the same to gain a few more power. I want my gaming to be more smooth.

Re: ASUS P5G41-M LE with Intel E7500 overclock

The motherboard ASUS P5G41-M LE is very basic. There are not overclocking options available on that. You can't just download a software and overclock the cpu.

For overclocking you need a composite hardware with overclocking settings. Both your cpu and motherboard must support that.

You can overclock, but it is not recommended on that board. It is a DDR2 based board. You can upgrade your gpu instead to get more smooth gaming performance. The overclocking on that is manual. There are no bios utility available in that. There are certain extreme edition motherboard available. You must upgrade that. Remember that if you forcefully try to overclock the cpu on existing hardware it can degrade your cpu performance and life. I had seen a number of threads on that which says that if you try to overclock and settings are not appropriate your system can face major failure.

On the same hand Core 2 Duo is not really meant for overclocking. I have a Intel Core i5 cpu and the board integrated utility to boost the performance. The benefit of using this ready to use utilities is that it auto arranges everything. It manages your fsb and other voltage settings where you do not need to bang your head. A perfect co-ordination is needed with appropriate cooling options or else your system might face crucial damage. You can try testing your computer with OCCT or Prime95. They offer you a virtual testing environment for overclocking and will display report what is the maximum clock rate you can achieve without killing your system. If your system shutdown in testing do not overclock, it is a clear indication that your system is not at all stable.

You must start testing your system with OCCT that would tell whether you must go with overclocking or not. It is better if you stay on the safe side. Because there if a hardware destroyed in overclocking is not counted under warranty.

The board does not provide you any way to modify the existing voltage, which makes overclocking complicated on the same. I had tried that a couple of time and then left that. The processor is good enough giving you a clock ration of 2.93 which is quiet not bad. For gaming it right you need a better cpu resource but if you have a bit additional ram and a good gpu then there is no need to go for overclocking. It is very important to have a auto voltage modifier. This can't be done in proper way by a manual process. Or what you need to do is keep a list of voltage parameter with you.

You can find a number of overclocking guide which can give you glimpse of exact voltage needed. I had seen a number of articles on web that had worked on Core 2 Duo overclocking. Voltage parameter are very important. Second most important thing that is ignored is cooling. If you are on the regular air fan do not expect your cpu to survive for longer time. Your system might crash within some time. For system like what you have I prefer to add a 700w psu with liquid cooler. And that is a costly upgrade. If you are intended to go for overclocking always buy a system that can stand the same or else stick with the existing performance.

I will advice you to upgrade your motherboard. Do not make changes on the existing. There is a pro edition of this board which can handle overclocking in better way. Do not really on ready to use software on web.

The board is capable of overclocking but in a very limited manner. First of all according to me overclocking your cpu on a basic motherboard is not recommended. There are quiet number of limitations in the board because of which your cpu can face major issue. First of all mark the maximum cpu clock rate that you are looking for. Second run a temp monitor in your system. This will alert you for the rising temperature. Of you had good cooling support then the temperature can be control to maximum or else there is no way you can go for. Lack of cooling support and poor psu can generate major issues.

What I had seen in my old system is that when I overclock that on regular system it life degraded. The system kept on slowing up and at last I have to sell it off. Overclocking hampers the performance of cpu to great extent. That is due to improper power support and poor cooling stuff. Overclocking is always a risk business where your cpu and other hardware can face serious issue.

You must buy a system from overclocking point of view. There is a extreme edition by Asus that offers a clear support and powerful integrated circuit for overclocking. It can standup more heat and offer good reliability.

If you found articles on web that showed up to reach high clock rate on this board ignored that. Those are done on high end boards and the article that you find are mostly based on the cpu. There is less chance for your board to give the right output as per your expectation. You can upgrade that at a reasonable rate. There are ample of vendor that offer you a good resale value.

Because overclocking system provides you a better and durable option to handle amount of heat and power support. So at point investing on such system will be better to some extent.