Thread: How to overclock Asus Sabertooth X79 with Intel I7-3820 processor

How to overclock Asus Sabertooth X79 with Intel I7-3820 processor

My new rig is having Asus Sabertooth X79 with Intel I7-3820 processor and I am willing to overclock it. First of all I want to know if it is safe or not? I haven’t done overclocking earlier and I don’t have much idea about the same. So is there anyone who can guide me out with it?? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to overclock Asus Sabertooth X79 with Intel I7-3820 processor

Yes it is safe until you are having good knowledge off overclocking. Since you have mentioned that you haven’t tried out overclocking previously I will suggest you to better go through some guides to get better idea about it. One should be very careful while carrying out this task, overclocking can increase your system performance if done well and hurt your hardware if not. There are a number of guides on overclocking throughout the web you can follow a detailed one as per your understanding and start your system overclocking.

Hey you can follow below Guides as well:

Understanding Basics of Overclocking
    How to Overclock Intel Core i7 920 & Core i7 930 to 4.0 GHz
    Guide on How to safely Overclock your computer
    Intel Core i7 Overclocking
    Just go through them and let me know if you have any query regarding it, feel free to ask.

The mentioned ones are quite good guides and once you go through them you will get broad idea of overclocking. If you want then you can refer some guides in this forum for overclocking your gpu as well later. You just have to make sure that you are doing a stable overclocking while increasing voltages and cores appropriately. You need patience to carry out this task as after increasing certain cores and voltage from bios you will have to reboot your system and check out its stability. You will have to keep increasing core’s and voltages slightly till a point where you system lose its stability. Once you find your system getting unstable at any point, that point will be height of overclocking and you will have to so at that.

You will have to reboot your system and decrease some core to get it stable. You should also keep an eye on temperature while overclcoking, it is one of the important factor to be concerned, It is recommended to stop overclocking when temperature of system reaches 70 degree. You can get a stable system above 70 degree say up to 80 degree but that’s not recommended, there are fair chances of running in to issues later. So just keep these tips in mind and go ahead with it, if you have any query regarding anything for overclocking then you can post it here without any doubt.

Hey thanks for that, I will surely read about overclocking gpu but for now I just want to overclock my cpu for learning purpose. I am not sure if it will be of any used to me as I am just trying to learn it. Actually I am aware what overclocking is and what are its advantages but I always had a bit of hesitation trying it out on my old system. Since I have bought a very new rig with latest processor and cpu which can be overclock, I thought of giving it a try. I will go through the mentioned guides and will surely let you know if I need any help further.