Thread: Is it possible to watercool a Playstation 3

Is it possible to watercool a Playstation 3

Is it possible to water cool a PlayStation. I am noticing that this is getting heat-up. When I keep hand over the surface it is a bit hot. Sometime when I play games for longer time it gets more hotter. Last time I remember when it got overheated, the PlayStation did not worked at all. It did not responded on any disc. But after few hours things went to normal. I was just wondering that there is way by which I can add a liquid cooler to make it more better.

Re: Is it possible to watercool a Playstation 3

No there is no such thing. You cannot add a separate cooler to PlayStation 3. Even if you buy any cooling kit I am sure that is not going to help much.Heating is quiet a common issue with PlayStation. You have to keep it turned off for sometime and then it goes back to normal. Check that the internal fan is working or not.

Heating is the most cooling issue of PlayStation and it can cause due to various reason. If your PlayStation is heating up too much then it will affect the lifespan of this device. So you must try a number of solutions to avoid that. Whenever the PS3 is heated it will not turn on. It will give you a yellow light. First if it is a factory packed model under warranty then you must simply do not open it up. Because this will void your warranty.

I will advice you to carry the same to your nearest service center and ask them for help. But if it is not under warranty then you have to open this up and find out the things which are blocking the air ventilation. There is no liquid cooling kit yet available for this device officially. Whatever you will found is not at all reliable. Ensure that there is no dust inside. Clear the same up and then check that all the hardware is fitted well. There is a cpu, gpu inside the device. You can remove them and apply thermal paste over it. The paste will give better heat control ability. Check the fan, if it is not working well you can get a easy replacement. If you us PlayStation for longer time, better give a break for some 30 to 40 minutes so that it can cool down.

I will recommend you to carry the same to a repair center. They will fix that out. Because if you open the same with your own hand you might spoil something. There are number of centers in that repair PlayStation at reasonable rate.

You can prevent that to some extent until your PSN does not stop working completely. If it is under warranty then there is no need to do manual stuff. There are some cooler kits on web that are costly but they promise you more cooling support. They work but to some extent you must keep a time interval in using this device. When you are placing the device check that it is not blocked from sides. The ventilation needs proper airflow and I had seen a number people keep that inside locked columns.

This makes the PlayStation more hotter. The heat is drawn out by the fans so that the internal gpu or cpu can remain much cooler. Another thing try to keep your device dust free. You must clean the nearby area so that there is not much dust is accumulated. Also check properly the ventilation part from sides are not blocked by any stuff. There should be enough space for the airflow.

One thing I had noticed that if you move your PlayStation when it is turned on, it creates a heavy impact on the hardware. There is a hard drive inside it. You must place it properly and at the time of using it do not move it. Keep it on a firm place. You can clean the fan columns on side of this device with a clip or brush.

It heats up due to improper handling. You have to keep in it much open space or near to AC if possible. Second never eject the disc when the game is on. This can cause heavy damage. The PS3 is similar to a PC which has a cpu, gpu, ram and hard drive inside it. Another important thing do not play scratched disc on it. The device have to put high resources to run the games from a poor disc. Stop using those disc which have poor surface. If possible you can clean them before playing. There are many CD cleaners that you can use. If you check the guidelines of this device properly then you will notice that you must not at all add any external cooler to it. This will create issue in future.

There is no better cooler device which is yet made for PS3. For better air circulation place the console in vertical form only. One more thing you can do is connect the PS3 to spike guard instead of connecting that directly to a power source.

I had purchased a pad for PS3 which told that it will keep my device much more cooler. But that did not worked at all. The device gets heat up very soon, and I am going to carry this to service center. It looks that there is some internal problem with it.

Changing thermal paste help to great extent. For that you have to open up the unit and move the elements. I will not recommend this to those who are not aware about opening up a PS3. There is a processor inside. Due to lack of thermal paste it gets heated very easily. You can buy a good quality paste in the market and apply the same easily on it. And before adding that download a PS3 manual which will give you instructions to open it .

This would be much easier. There are some helpful videos on web which will guide you to protect from YOLD.

The best thing is leaving your console aside for cooling. Leave the same for some 20 to 30 minutes. It is better if you play it after a time interval so that it can get time to cool down. Heating reduce the life space of hard drive and other hardware inside the device.