Thread: Want some help in overclocking Intel Core i7 on Gigabyte Z77x series motherboard

Want some help in overclocking Intel Core i7 on Gigabyte Z77x series motherboard

This is somewhat I had planned. I have a Gigabyte Z77XUD335 motherboard with Intel Core i7-3770K Processor. Now Intel Core i7 is already a good processor and capable of giving a good over-clocking output. I want to know that till what limit I can push this processor. I have the best cooling solution with me and I am sure with that I can reach higher than 4.4. But still I am bit doubtful. I need the right frequency on which this processor can work in stable condition without crashing.

Re: Want some help in overclocking Intel Core i7 on Gigabyte Z77x series motherboard

I think 4.5 is enough. I had just seen a thread of guy who has similar processor and board. I do not understand what he wants to do. He had freezes his system. You can simply see ice with bare eyes on it. I think he is trying to reach a higher clock ratio or simply testing till what condition this hardware can survive.

Re: Want some help in overclocking Intel Core i7 on Gigabyte Z77x series motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K is a good processor and it comes with default 3.9Ghz clock ratio. Above that is possible to reach maximum I think around 4.8. The cpu might work stable, but if your system is enough powerful then nothing would happen. Over-clocking needs a better power and cooling management. Have a good liquid cooling does not means that you can over-clocking it much high ratio. It also depends on your system hardware specification. I will recommend you to read a good guide on the same.

I had seen a benchmarking report on it which showed that the cpu is capable of giving ration between 4.0 to 4.5 which will remain stable. Your system will not at all crash. While if you try to go higher and the system has poor response your pc will freeze or crash. Another thing you can try running a benchmark test to find out how much your system can stand over-clocking. Tools like Prime95 or OCCT can give you a better response. They will create a virtual environment for over-clocking and will give you stable report in the end.

It is correct that you must first test your system before doing it. Or else it will be a issue for you. Over-clocking is quiet fine in cases of good system, most probably a 64bit operating system. Or else the same will not work in proper way at all.

Stick to 4.5. Do not go above that. I think that is the maximum. It does not matter what cooling system you have, your cpu must be capable of giving that much calculation power. The cpu operating at 4.5Ghz generate a huge amount of heat. The same is then controlled by your liquid cooling device. On the same hand your ram, hard drive, motherboard, fsb, etc all should be capable of handling the pressure.

If the cpu process at high speed but on the same hand if ram does not respond properly you will face issue called as Bottleneck. At this point the cpu will freeze. So keep a valid ratio that your system can work and will not crash at all. It is not necessary that you gain a good clock ration, but it is important that you must maintain a stable frequency. This would not damage your hardware, not it will reduce your processors life. When you are planing to work on such frequency try to get a good psu also. Your system might lack somewhere.

I had seen many people tried to gain above 4.5, but their system hardly worked for an hour or two. So in this case if your system works fine on 4.5 then it is better to stick on it. Why to push more ahead. The cpu life is not reduced by over-clocking, it is affected due to improper power supply or failure.