Thread: Amd FX-4170 FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Amd FX-4170 FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

I have upgraded to AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition FX-4170 and have installed it successfully as well but I don’t know why the cores are failing. I have ran Prime95 in the Blend option and am getting the below error message for each core:
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Core 1, core 2, core 3 and core 4 are failing back to back, I am not able to make out what exactly is causing the cores to fail. I have not yet tried out overclocking and I don’t have much idea about the same. I just wanted to know if it can be an issue with the processor or my board?? Is there anyone who has faced the same error and has an idea about it and can help me out as well?

Re: Amd FX-4170 FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

There can be an issue with the board but as you have mentioned that you are not doing overclocking I think there might be something wrong with the ram in your case. Better run a memtest and check out if they are passing the test. If possible try swapping the ram in different slots and see if that’s making any difference. If not then you try out increasing the vcore manually to check if it is helping to get rid of the error. If you still face the same error further then mention your system specification in your next post so that I can have a better idea of your case and will suggest you possible solution for fixing it as well.

I don’t think this is an issue with the ram but I think there is something wrong with the processor, I mean it should stay stable with the stock settings, I have come across people facing such error while overclocking their system. Your case appears to be different, if possible then try out increasing the multiplier and see if you are able to get it stable at any point. Make sure that you are having a powerful psu before carrying out this task. If you are not able to get it stable even after increasing the multiplier’s then like I have said you might be having a faulty cpu. Just give it a try and post back the result you get for further help.

As far as the specification is concerned my system is having the below components:

• Gigabyte 870A-UD3 motherboard
    • AMD FX-4170
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    • 850W PSU.

I have tried increasing the multiplier but I am just not able to get it stable at any point. Even I think that there is something wrong with the new cpu. I did not had any such issues with the previous one. It is hardly running for 2 minutes and then the cores starts failing. I have not made any changes in the bios by now. Is there anything else that I need to check out further or I should simply get the Amd FX-4170 replaced?? What will you suggest?

Did you try out running memtest? Did you try swapping the ram in different slots? Did you try increasing the vcore manually? I have suggested you these things because you are not doing overclocking. You will have to check out these things if you want to find out the cause of the issue. if you are not willing to try this out than I don’t think there is anything else that you will be able to try out further rather than considering you have bought a faulty cpu.