Thread: AMD 980BE throttling itself after overclocking

AMD 980BE throttling itself after overclocking

Looks like my experiment of overclocking the process went wrong. I shouldn’t have overclocked this brand new processor. Yes, I bought my AMD 980 processor two days ago and just after the installation of the processor I simply overclocked it at 4.1 GHz and now after performing the experiment I found that the computer wasn’t working well. I found that while the system is running the CPU started throttling very much. It was not even 5 minutes I started the computer, suddenly it throttled badly. Please guys someone suggest me something. I am really helpless and left with no option. I wanted to resolve the problem as soon as possible. I personally feel that it is my motherboard that is not causing the issue because compared to the processor my motherboard looks like too week. I am having an Asus board installed.

Re: AMD 980BE throttling itself after overclocking

Yeah even I think the same. might be there is something to do with your board but if you check on internet about the Asus boards and CPU compatibility there will be AMD 980 processor listed there. I would suggest you to check the same and verify that your processor is compatible with your board. Also verify the wattage rating. Better you specify the model number of your board and also other hardware that you have bought newly in your computer. There shouldn’t be any problem with the compatibility as I already said that ASUS board and your AMD CPU are quite well rated together but there are few of the Asus model that are currently showing bit problem with the AMD processors.

According to me I guess Asus boards are capable of handling 125W of processors and the process that you have produces 125W but only at stock frequencies and voltages. Might be the wattage will go beyond 125W if overclocked and if it’s true then you are in huge mess because you have overclocked your processor. I guess your board is overloaded. If possible test your board and processor by downloading. Hope you will see some normal situation.

Check your BIOS and see what temperature you have set within it. If the temperature is set to 50C as max then definitely there is possibility of your processor getting throttled or also there might be a possibility that your core temperature is going below what your CPU is sharing. The problem already came in my system too but it was with my old Asus board. But now I have nothing to do with the system as I am on a new machine.

Am sure you have a GA-990XA-UD3 board with you. I too had the same and right now the situation is that my board is completely crashed. Actually the problem is that this board does not work fine with all the CPUs. I have also leant that if a customer do not carry on a proper flashing processors then his board is bound to get destroyed. And obviously overclocking is something which always comes up very risky. I would suggest you to return the stock. And if you are doing the settings through a windows system then make sure that you first close all your programs and only then perform what so ever you need.

Better you try to flash through a self booting floppy disk or usb flash drive if you are into windows.