Thread: Stressing Intel Core i7-2700K to 5.2ghz seems to be running fine

Stressing Intel Core i7-2700K to 5.2ghz seems to be running fine

It wasn’t always my intention but I was eager to try it once in any condition and I did it successfully. I am talking about overclocking of my Intel Core i7-2700K processor. Actually I tested overclocking my CPU on watercooling loop and due to this only I assume that it ran fine. At first I achieved the highest overclocking rate of 5Ghz. Ran the stress test few times and they have completed the test successfully.

So once again I decided to up more and this time it reached to 5.2 GHz. I was afraid to run stress test this time. Lastly I ran the stress test side by side monitoring temps. The temps started maxing out gradually but system seems running fine. I set the Vcore to a little above 1.5v. But then system loses its stability. So it looks like the Core i7-2700K can achieve up to 5GHz with extreme watercooling setup.

Re: Stressing Intel Core i7-2700K to 5.2ghz seems to be running fine

I also tried to get to the highest level point which is 5.7Hhz. It was achieved by the origin. They have showed a overclocked Core i7-2700K computer at CES 2012. So I tried to reach somewhat that level but I got to 5.5GHz @ 1.52. The system booted fine but then within few minutes, temps started climbing up above 80C even at idle condition. So I shut down the computer assuming that it could damage the CPU. Then I tried the 5.0GHz @ 1.42Vcore and it runs stable. So the results show that the Core i7-2700K has the good capability of overclocking because it is a king of Intel's line of LGA1155 models. The LGA1155 socket is made for PC enthusiasts and gamers.

I know that the few of the Sandy Bridge processors can hit that frequency but the voltage varies depending on the processor and unlocked multiplier. Some processors needs more than 1.4v Vcore to hit 5 GHz. The temp seems to be above the normal but they are fine as far as they do not cross the limit.

How long you ran the stability or stress test after overclocking?

It seems to me that you ran it for 1 to 5 minutes. By this you cannot determine the actually stability of the computer. You have to run longer with 1GB RAM. Run it at least 25-30 times. Set the RAM usage to max while running. Several overclocker succeeded to get 5GHz OC

So far more and more people posted only good reviews about this processor and it is good to hear that the Core i7-2700K succeeded to maintain its stability even under the extreme overclocking. In order to reach near to 5GHZ clock speed, you always have to start overclock from v1.4 vCore. In some system configuration you will not find this setup as very much stable even before the stress test. The system may fail to boot or there will be BSODS after the boot. So always make sure that your motherboard does not have any limitation over it and not even the BIOS. You have done a write choice with your system config by using water cooling loop. You won’t find any trouble after overclocking since it can handle all the heats effectively. Whenever you see the temp hike, start decreasing the vcore and it will maintain the temps even under the stress.