Thread: Overclock AMD phenom II x4 955 to 4ghz on Asus crosshair IV

Overclock AMD phenom II x4 955 to 4ghz on Asus crosshair IV

Currently I am running AMD phenom II x4 955 processor at stock speed. My computer is configured on Asus crosshair IV motherboard. It has one 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 1GB Graphics card and 750W PSU. The processor is maintained using stock cooler only. I have looked into the BIOS and I have seen that there are multiple settings to overclock my processor. So I am thinking about overclocking to at least 4GHZ after setting up a brand new watercooling loop? What do you suggest about this?

Re: Overclock AMD phenom II x4 955 to 4ghz on Asus crosshair IV

AS far as I know, the Asus crosshair IV motherboard is the best option for overclockers who are looking forward to overclock their AMD processor. You don’t need to worry about the prime 95 result or any stress test result. Just start overclocking and your motherboard will take care of most but before that you need to have proper information about the BIOS. Make sure to go through a good BIOS guide about how settings should be changed in terms of stable overclocking and how temps should be handled. Manually enter the Freq, timings and voltage values for DRAM. You can raise the vcore slightly from 0.05 to 0.1v. Then go for the NorthBridge voltage change and raise its Frequency. I assume that there you will get at least 2600-2800MHz.

From how long you had been running this processor?

Is it a new processor or old one?

Normally, old processor does not do well with overclocking and brings several issues even with slight change in clock speed. Overvolting of a processor is always a risk. Without much experience and knowledge you should not jump in to that. You can raise the voltages as long as your temps are under control and below the limit. In this processor, to reach 4GHZ speed you don’t actually need to change voltage much. Just adjust the frequency and run the stress test for several loop. If it completes without fail and without much change in temps, then you will be good. But if you see any error or problem during the stress test, just adjust the vcore to a bit but don’t go above the 1.55 volts. Also make sure that your temps are below 70C all the time.

AMD phenom II x4 955 processor can reach 4ghz but due to some reasons like limitation of BIOS, motherboard or multiplier, it can get stuck at 3.8ghz or even below. Even when the power saving mode is enabled, it cannot go up. With 1.44v or little more you can surely reach at the 4GHz speed but it depends on the motherboard. You have decided to set up a watercooled loop. Because you already know that overclocking on stock cooler is not a best option. VRMs basically take the 12v, 5v and 3v and it will get the manageable CPU voltages.