Thread: How to overclock AMD T-series hexacore chips?

How to overclock AMD T-series hexacore chips?

I recently brought a new computer which was pre-built and it has AMD T-series hexacore chip in it. I want to overclock this processor but problem is that this is the first time I am using a T-series hexacore chip in my life. I don’t know much details about it and thus I am paranoid that I might something wrong which would harm the chip. Can any experienced overclocker tell me how to overclock AMD T-series hexacore chips?

Re: How to overclock AMD T-series hexacore chips?

I have overclocked some AMD T-series hexacore chips in past and I can help you getting the overclocking process right. The things that you need to have as they are necessary for overclocking of AMD T-series hexacore chips are; motherboard manual which might come into help to get values of certain attributes, a notepad to note down important values that might be needed during overclocking, a software that can show you the stability of your system (Prime95 is preferable) and a system monitoring software (CPU-Z). Make sure that before you begin overclocking your processor you have the BIOS of your motherboard updated to its latest version. Also the latest drivers for all the peripherals in your computer should be present. One of the most important things that you should be notified about is the temperature. Since the temperature might rise above normal levels frequently while overclocking, you should make sure that you are providing a good cooling to your system. It is preferred to have the side panel of your CPU open while overclocking. This will help the hot air to escape properly.

I don’t know which region you are from, but if the ambient temperature in your region is high, then I’ll suggest you to use extra cooling fans, heatsinks or other cooling techniques. Before starting the overclocking process, note down these values; CPU voltage, the multiplier, CPU frequency, NB/FSB frequency, NB voltage and FSB/memory ratio. Since this is the first time that you are overclocking an AMD T-series hexacore chips, I suggest you to go slow and steady in this process. Do not attempt to take big steps even if you are confident about them.

If your motherboard supports the instant automated overclocking features like OC genie or LevelUP, I’ll suggest you to use them first for overclocking your processor. Though they will not produce same result as manual overclocking, but at least they will finish half of the job automatically without having to put much effort. To add to this, this process will also guarantee stability of the system. After doing this, run the stability applications to see if your system is running fine without any problem. I recommend you to run the stability test for around 30 minutes as no problem will be detected as soon as you start your computer. Once it is confirmed that your computer is 100% fine, you can continue with further process. Note down the change in values of attributes I had mentioned before. If your motherboard and its BIOS support or have any feature that allows one to save the overclocked profile, then I suggest you to save the settings often.

When overclocking AMD T-series hexacore chips manually, you will need to increase the core speed of the processor. To achieve this increase, you have to increase either FSB/NB speed or the speed of Multiplier. As an example let me tell you, if you increase the speed of FSB/NB to 200 MHz and increase the speed of multiplier to x1.5, then the speed of the processor will be (200 x 1.5)/100 = 3.00 GHz. I don’t know how much can the speed of Multiplier be extended in you processor. But if multiplier speed cannot be exceeded above a certain limit, then I suggest you to start increasing FSB/NB speed.

To achieve processor speed of 4.00 GHz or more than that, then you will need to take the FSB/NB value till 280 MHz. To increase the speed of Multiplier and the FSB/NB, you will also need to increase the voltage that is provided to the processor. I suggest you to limit the voltage supply to the processor till 1.5 V. AMD T-series hexacore chips can endure voltage more than what I have specified, but it is not recommended if you want to make your processor last longer.

Re: How to overclock AMD T-series hexacore chips?

Thank you, I overclocked my AMD T-series hexacore chip and it is working fine and stable. Now that I have overclocked the processor, I now know the right steps. I am confident that I can overclock an AMD T-series hexacore chip next time I need to by myself.