Thread: Intel E5300 overclocking on Gigabyte G41MT-S2

Intel E5300 overclocking on Gigabyte G41MT-S2

Hello guys, this is the first time I am jumping into overclocking and hence i need some urgent help from you all. I am using Intel Pentium E5300 @ 2.60 processor on Gigabyte G41MT-S2 motherboard. Also there is a 6GB 1333MHz memory installed. The PSU capacity is 500w. I have started overclocking after referring several guides. At first I boot up the processor a bit and then slowly to 3.60 GHz. The system seems to be work stable but still I ran Prime95 to stress test the processor. I ran it for at least two hours and then note down the temps. I didn’t touch the vcore or dividers yet but still the computer seems running fine. During the next reboot, the CPU fans started making noise and their rpms were higher. Temps also started increasing deliberately.

How can I make it right now?

Re: Intel E5300 overclocking on Gigabyte G41MT-S2

It seems to me that you have to change RAM setting also along with the CPU setting while overclocking stable. In order to get perfect result it should be necessary that both components work alongside and dependently. Most of the overclocking guides indicate the same on overclocking process. Both have to configure appropriately. I don’t know about the RAM setting for the current E5300 processor but I assume that your RAM is limiting your CPU overclock.

However the Maximum Thermal limit of the processor is 74C. If your processor hit 65C when you may overclock it to 3.6GHz(as I assume). Now it is up to you about how much more you want to push the processor. Whether you want to really push it out the limit or stay behind it. Try better cooling thing and see how much it can reach at that time.

As far as I know that you should not overclock the Intel E5300 processor to 3.8GHz. if your computer does not have a good cooling fan or hearsink, the system and its components surely run into overheating issue. The stable overclocking is 3.0 or something then 3.2 etc. it completely depends upon your system configuration and how your motherboard can hold. I don’t have any idea about your gigabyte motherboard since it is just a mid range motherboard. It is always not the right thing to do with a specific target or frequency in mind. You have to research and experiment with different values and finally decide on a maximum temperature and voltage. At last see how stable is the system within that limits. Overclocking is everything about how you increase the voltage and manage temps.

In my case I am using a HTPC which is build on E8500 and I have overclocked it to .9GHz with manageable temps. I have used Shuttle's stock heatsink. Do not every try with cheap, low end heatsink.

I can barely say that the E5300 can go up to 4.3 GHz when it is running at standard 333 MHz FSB. I know that it is too much and that is even with the use of much voltage. I don’t think that your motherboard can take overclocking of processor to this point. Only current motherboards are practically manufactured and designed to achieve that end. Usually quite a few CPUs still running at STOCK speed for a long time. These CPUs contain low stock FSBs and very high multipliers. This will surely brings overclocking limitations. For overclocking this processor, you don’t need a high end and expensive heatsink. You can even do with stock heatsink. Make sure that you set the voltage on auto, set it to 266 MHz FSB and then try to go at 3.5 GHz. I assume that till this point you don’t get any problem with increasing temps.

The clockspeed of E5300 processor is 2.6 gigahertz but with relatively low 800 megahertz (MHz) (FSB) frequency. Other feature includes high temperature tolerance relatively low cost and supports wide voltage range. Due to this it is a better option for overclocking due to a reasonable set of variables. The overclocking process is as follows:
    • Get the latest version of BIOS. It is necessary in order to get ultimate results over overclocking.
    • Level and polish (lap) CPU's heat sink contact surface. You can get the better guide for that.
    • Clean the existing fans and if needed add extra fans wherever possible. if you keep the components cool, you will get higher stable clock speeds.
    • You have to download and install few oftware such as CPU-Z, ClockGen, SetFSB or something similar for overclocking which will easily help you to adjust the CPU speed, voltage and FSB frequency.
    • Stress software is needed to check the stability of system overclocking, You can try Everest, Prime95 or Intel burn test.
    • For the first time increase the E5300 CPU clock speed from 2.6 to 2.8 GHz.
    • Next thing is raise the CPU voltage from .85 volts (V) to 1V.
    • Adjust or increase the FSB to multiple from 13 to 16.
    • Reboot system, run stress test, note down temps and is the system is stable, repeat these steps.
    • In each step you can try by increasing all settings by 5 to 10 percent and test the stability.

You have used the prime95 in order to test the stability of the E5200@3.8ghz. I don’t say that this program is terrible but it would be better if you test it first with the Intel companion software like Intel burn test). I have overclocked my system to 3.85@1.39volt. The fact is average stable overclock on the E5300 is somewhat between the 3.7 and 3.8 GHz. Anything above will surely get you temp related issues.

You should not overclock the processor unless you have installed a brand new aftermarket cooler. With stock cooler, you cannot handle the processor once at is overclocked. It is designed only for the processor at factory settings. You cannot do more in it. If your socket is LGA775 socket, you should get either Zalman or Asus cpu cooler for better performance and value of money. Before proceeding to the overclocking you have to be finished with the nice calculation.

Stock setting= 2600(mhz)/13 = 200FSB

For 3.0 GHz, you have to set the FSB to 230 i.e. 230(FSB) x 13 = 3000(mhz) (3.0ghz)

If the computer does not accept the 230FSB then try around 228-234FSB, until you get succeed.