Thread: Need help overclocking AMD FX-8120 on ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3 motherboard

Need help overclocking AMD FX-8120 on ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3 motherboard

Hi guys

I need help on this just recently I have upgraded my machine and added the new mobo ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3 which AMD FX-8120, I am not that tech savvy s and have no idea how to overclock, at least ADM chip , I was using the Intel chip for the long time and have not familiar that much with the ADM CPU , . other day I was reading the article on the web that windows Is releasing the update that will make the CPU better , so should I go for the overclock or should I wait for that updated , if overclock is the better option then where do I start . is there anyone here who can help me on this as I have looked everywhere but not able to find the proper answer , I will be really appreciating this. thanks in advance

Re: Need help overclocking AMD FX-8120 on ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3 motherboard

The thing is the over clocking is depends on the type of cooler that you are using, just go the BIOS and after that just set the multiplier to 16x . turn the turbo and cool and quiet off . now press the F11 key and exit , this will help you to reach till about 3.8 GHz. If you are not satisfied the can you give me some additional information on what settings you are trying e to do the overclock ? do you using the multiplier, HT ref, or together? It would be nice if you can provide the screen shot . which model of ram are you using? And the settings and voltage etc too .

As so much as I know the AMD suggests the MAX core temp is 61C. I’d expect throttling anywhere on top of that temp. What are your current clocks/voltages/temps?,. I own the FX-6100. Stock speed of 3.3GHz, I even have it stable at 4.2GHz. i'd advocate keeping the FSB constant, like 200 simply modification the multiplier (though everybody will their own mine is ready to twenty Onex check that you have got an good cooler, i exploit the H60- temps never go on top of 34C when gaming - even with stock paste . Though i'm at 4.2GHz, I even have heard many folks arise to 4.7 or 4.8 stable for my model however I solely get problems past my purpose... I obtained 3.3 and obtain 4.2, cannot complain. Since your stock is 3.1, you must be ready to get 4.0-4.2GHz while not adjusting voltage and simply messing with multiplier. the multiplier clocking i exploit a 22x and that i hit 4400mhz (4,4ghz) stabile with little effort though I am one increment over stock though the 8120 BE could be a heat monster thus my cores hit forty one and cpu is 50- that said I am running Watercool system however it rox the sox of the pwney 2500k i5 that on extreme mode clocks itself to 4,6ghz

The fact that the ADM overdrive is safe it's simply a different means of overclocking and as well the sensible issue is that you just will right away see your temps however not what the people in some places invariably like the , i favor the bios more however anyway you must be stable at 18 x 200 at 3.6ghz that is that the speed of the 8150 however anyway you must not have to be compelled to modification the temps. This is like my 8400gs once I overclocked it from 520 to 1040 it decreased the fps by 1 fps thus i bought a 6870 and it works. I even have my 8120 at 200x22 = 4.4Ghz right away, however my voltage is far high! i'm currently have the bad s Pool Caller errors when copying BD-Rs as my cores are reaching 50C . Im at 36C not below load.

I like to share this with you that I have overclocked my FX-8120 by accident while when I was attempting to tweak in my memory. I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo and 16 GB of G.Skill Ripjaws. it like with the usual voltage I’m reaching till the 220 MHz x 15 that equal to the 3.52 GHz. once I tried tweaking to 223 I just got the worst thing . the blue screen of death for about one minute of boot up. My Passmark is 7987. I did not have any idea that if this can be sensible or not, as I appear to be very far away from the FX-8150 that i believe was either overclocked or it had been rigged. My memory must be sensible beyond 1800Mhz. I reason that if I even have to lift the voltage, the CPU can get very hot and i am going to have stock cooler that came with the device. , if i actually wished faster than I would gone to the get an Intel i7. I flashed my bios with the newest. After all I had reset my setting, so that they were little different from my last try. Ratcheting my FSB to 220 currently renders BSDs throughout boot. i do not Get if it this can be memory or CPU connected. I lowered the the FSB to 217 and tweeked my core voltage up on my memory and CPU. My CPU passmark is slightly lower 7900, however my memory speed is kicking some serious butt, Passmark is currently 2210, was 1950.

I guess that I will be able to get till the 4.1Ghz on stock voltage simply by raising multiplier.I have the RAM to 1800Mhz as hostile the stock 1600mhz however at last I have to stayed with 1600mhz. I think that you might need the high quality 700w psu if you wish to get the figure over 4ghz, those things are power stuff . And don’t use auto overclock, its will really good for the manual overclock. you'll have an no answers as there aren’t enough folks with these CPU's to provide you an honest run-down or overclocking guide, . I thing that you have to do the traditional way and do the overclock in simple steps, tweaking settings here and there to get the feel about what happens. It confuses me why anyone would really purchase this CPU, you will not get something out of the CPU with the stock cooler I advice either a Noctua DH14 (Air-cooling) or a Antec H20 920 wil be suitable to you

I have got the Antec Kuhler 620, that had higher specs than the Corsair H60 I hit my FSB up to 217, however I dropped it all the way down to a fair 215 Mhz only for margin. I booted into Windows seven and was running Battlefield dangerous Company with all the attention candy on max. No sooner that I got into the sport play the over temp alarm tripped. I even have this set at 62 c. similarly, I had an overstep on my fan controller that monitors the CPU temp, however this was set at a lower temp (50c). Since it's next to not possible to use the thermostat near the CPU, there'll invariably be an oversized temperature delta.

Also I like to tell you that I have the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.1), it's a voltage regulator on a heat sink. It is really very hot , i can't believe these imbeciles did not build the heat sink larger or that has the fan in it, however I go off the point. Again the Antec water cooler. This device features a radiator with a 120mm fan. Each elements are assembled as a sandwich to the case in a very chassis, fan and radiator sequence. The fan pulls air through the radiator and out the rear of the case. Not leaving ok alone. i'm about to strive putting a second fan as a pusher. I will conjointly place a second fan into the case to chill the regulator HS. This whole project has been an important bummer to date.

Correct me if I ma wrong but I pushing the front side bus is doing it the laborious means. I even have since reduced by FSB all the way down to 207 MHz, however bumped up my multiplier 16.5. this offers me a speed of 3.415 Ghz. to date my over heat has not tripped. BY THE WAY the heatsink or water cooler is secured and is isothermal to the CPU. The radiator gets dang hot together with the northbridge. i believe that reducing the FSB takes lots of load off the machine. Last, all voltages are at stock levels. My CPU overall Passmark is 7717, and my memory pegs out at 2118.

This would like for overclocking happen once I purchased all the elements for my system. In haste I purchased some 1866 Mhz memory while not ensuring it might be compatible with my motherboard . Though my MoBo supports this kind of memory, it did not just like the whole i would invariably default to 1333. The memory worked at 1600, however it ought to be running a lot of faster than that. So is once I started screwing with the FSB. In all i am happy, however if I had less scruples i'd have spent few additional bucks and bought the Core 7.

This is the story so far that I got my 8120 as high as 4.5 @1.45v, and did not have any problems except below constant load - i cannot run constant any faster than the 4.0 and 1.35V. checking the performance it'll steady at 4.5 below load with a CPU temp of concerning 55C and a Core Temp of concerning 44C (liquid cooled) however once concerning thirty seconds the multiplier can modification itself to seven for concerning five seconds and then it'll return to the required multiplier for concerning twenty seconds, then keep switching back and 4th. i'm pretty certain that it's not temperature connected any idea what may well be cause this Power supply I even have a 750W that i believed would be fine

if I keep at 4.0 (200x20) and commonplace voltage it is not too dangerous, perhaps a only 1 each jiffy, the upper you go the more serious it gets. I've modified each setting within the bios I will think about with no improvement and much of various cooling concepts - simply kind of out of concepts here and would like to see if any own has the answer. i'm having this constant issue with an FX-4100 on a GB 990FXA-UD3. I even have it a 4.1GHz (200x20.5) and -0.75v. It tops out at 45 C (stock HSF) however the voltages and multi can swing everywhere the place in CPU-z. It will typically keep at x20 however can often drop to x16 for ten or thus seconds. Pushing it beyond this simply makes it worse.

Currently my expertise with Bulldozer has been pretty positive, though whereas running Prime95 I do notice that the multiplier changes on it's own, from what I will tell I've done everything to disable this within the BIOS however it still will it. It looks to stay 4 cores at the right multiplier and then 4 are modified to a lower one. There are times where all 8 cores keep at the right multiplier, but it appears like this might be one reason why benchmarks weren't that spectacular. If the multiplier drops all the way down to seven when it has always seventeen (in my case 22) it's clearly about to have problems, but that is simply me speculating. to date i used to be ready to do 4GHz right out of the box while not changing something however the multiplier. once 4GHz things get to a small degree unstable and increasing the voltage looks necessary. Currently i am at 4.5GHz @ 1.360V and also the temps are sitting at 49C at 100% load running Prime ninety five.