Thread: BSOD with Intel i7-2600k overclocked, need more Vcore

BSOD with Intel i7-2600k overclocked, need more Vcore

My system is only few months old which is based on Intel i7-2600k overclocked. Right now I am using the default setting for a 4.5 but the Vcore of 1.325 and LLC 3. It was working fine till yesterday but today morning the system boot up with a BSOD. Even I have tried the Prime95 and it too was causing the same. When I looked for the error, I have got 101. This error message was indicating that I have to increase the Vcore to 1.335. Do you think that the system will remain stable, if I increase the Vcore to 1.335? Will it harm my processor? I don’t want to mess around with my OC settings and temps are also normal as per my point of view. The system specs are as follows:
    • TX850w Corsair PSU
    • 1600 8gig ram
    • Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
    • GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
    • COOLER MASTER HAF X case

Re: BSOD with Intel i7-2600k overclocked, need more Vcore

The BSOD is indicating that the Vcore is VERY LOW. So if this is the case, we will raise the Vcore to 1.32 one, and if it returns to us we will post another tad mistake, until we the blue screen. You may have also improperly set the memory timings or you have placed a lower voltage to the Vcore. However at 1.315, it should not give BSOD. In rare case 101 BSOD indicates very little to VCore, but are also associated with the secondary stresses. In your system info, I've seen that you have 8GB of RAM, so full assembly. Just try to raise the VCCSA and VCCIO voltage level two and see if you notice a positive effect.

How do you know that, you have got the BSOD due to the low Vcore voltage? The BSOD 101 error does not always indicate the vcore voltage. There might be other reasons also. According to Intel specs you can use the VCCSA to 0.971 V and the VTT / VCCIO go up to 1.0815 volts. The VPLL can usually be neatly reduced (1.6 V or less), then come out with some less Vcore. You could also try again, the behavior of your system with just 8GB memory. All in all, one has to decide for themselves whether and how much effort it operates for the voltage reduction. I've played around too long with all sorts of tensions; nothing has brought me advantages in the VCore. So I've also accepted that my i7 about the need for 1.25 V 4.2 GHz.

Intel i7 version CPU is open to the user. So you have the freedom to choose in which clocking and voltage setting you wish to run its processor. A key point is a suitable motherboard to buy. Because that is the most basic and the foundation for successful overclocking! Also a decent power supply. I have my i7 2600k CPU from the standard Turbo 3.8 GHz clock speed to 4GHz overclocked. There are 4x 4GB RAM with a clock speed of 1600Mhz at a default voltage of 1.65 V default. According to the sources, these memory settings are not good for the Sandy Bridge. For that reason I have changed it and now the memory runs at 1333MHz with 1.5V voltage. It is thus also defined by the SPD EPROM from memory. I can read it using the CPU-Z.

As I have set the CPU Vcore voltage 1.145 V. You should start to set the voltage to 1.12 volts. After several test with Prime95, each with increasing Vcore, I arrived at 1.145 Vcore stable than current CPU. In any case, if you Overclocked the CPU, always first to get enough information in and to the whole information. And in increasing the CPU voltage to be careful. When Sandy Bridge CPU Vcore, the maximum will not exceed the value of 1.35V! I have my Intel i7 clocked at 4GHz discreet. I find that the CPU has enough power as standard. And a little more should be sufficient.

Exactly, as you know more or less the voltage you need, try the offset you the voltage raises and falls depending on the CPU load you need. You have to optimize the voltages of the current configuration. This is a very important step because it will decrease the temperature, consumption and guarantees a greater life of the processor and other components. The process is very simple though it may require a few hours. Proceed down the steps of 1-2 Vcore then you have to rerun the tests of stability as explained previously. If the system is stable, go to the BIOS to lower the vcore one step further and perform other time Linx, you should execute this technique. At this point if we are picky, we can perform the same procedure for the VCCSA eVCCIO other secondary voltages. Sandy Bridge processors than the previous series allow more stability with the energy savings in overclocking, so if you have tried a configuration where it was recommended to disable them (4, 6 / 4, 8), we can now try to reactivate them. There is no way to test these systems because they work mainly at idle, so the only way you normally use the PC for a couple of days, if the system is stable we can leave them enabled without crashing.

I've been doing my intel i7 2600K overclocking and I managed to get stable at 4.6GHz with vcore of 1.36V, but I've seen that many people have (supposedly stable) to 4.6GHz or more and with less vcore than me. I tried to put it to 1.35V but I get blue screen when I run prime95, but with 1.36V I left almost two hours in prime95 and everything was fine, in addition to FULL, either with prime95 or in games like crysis 2, company of heroes OP, etc. I spend 60 C, do not really know how my temperature rises, just know that does not reach 60 C as in the BIOS configured it to alert me to that temperature.

I think its right, 4.6GHz with 1.36V vcore, but you know, the lower the voltage better, so if I can lower it a bit and make it equally stable, even better. Anyway I have been searching Google and I found something about Loadline levels. If for example we set the vcore to 1.36V in the BIOS and activate Loadline level 1, we have a real vcore 1.33V (approximately), as you pass the level, the vcore increases in level 5 will probably have the vcore that we set in the BIOS, ie 1.36V, in my case a little more, 1.368V (1.37V almost), if we adjust for level 9 will have a highest vcore set, perhaps 1.40V or so. But I do not understand what sense are so many levels, if we 1.40V no need to go to level 9 of Loadline simply adjust 1.40V in the BIOS and put the level 5 (or Loadline activated to adjust the voltage that we have in the BIOS.)

In order to bring back the system to stable, first try to disable LLC and then again with enabled. I think that this time you should get more Vcore when the LLC disabled. By this way you will find the general voltage needed for the processor to overclock. If you are not using the Hyper threading, you can disable it in the BIOS and it will help you to lower the voltage some more and get better throughput. To check the system again, Disable Intel Speedstep Technology, Set the RAM to 1.5 v, and the vcore is not fixed a priori but must be made due to the stability test to see how you can make work with minimum voltage at a certain frequency (I recommend 10 cycles of Intel Burn Test).