Thread: Should I Perform Overclocking on SLi setup

Should I Perform Overclocking on SLi setup

I am bit confused with overclocking on Sli setup. Now there are two Nvidia GTX 680 gpu configured on asus motherboard. Other than this I have 4GB ram and around 1TB of hard drive with regular 600w psu. The setup went really well without issue and I can play game fine on my wide screen monitor. I hooked one more to the same to get wider area. To gain a bit more in the performance I need advice on overclocking. I had not yet done this and also researched that my gpus will support it. My processor is Intel Core i7. This is a good cpu which supports overclocking. I need advice to drag the clock rate and put it stable @ 4Ghz atleast. So that I can gain a good fps while gaming. But I worry about the gpu, will they be effected or what measure should I talk before doing the same.

Re: Should I Perform Overclocking on SLi setup

Unless and until you had a good psu you can go for overclocking. There are minimum requirement to use a power supply unit for overclocking purpose. In my view you must have atleast 1000w psu for this purpose or else it wont work. Overclocking generates tremendous heat and because of which more power is consumed. At this time if the cpu gets low power the life and quality both degrades. So you should keep that in mind. You need a good and powerful psu unit for this purpose. Also for the ram stuff I will recommend you to increase that upto 8GB. It will be better to have that much of physical memory. You had not discussed on the cooler you have in your system. Because if that is a liquid cooling setup then you will have to under all possibility add 1000psu on your system.

Re: Should I Perform Overclocking on SLi setup

Overclocking on Sli is not a big deal. It is right that you must have a good psu support or else overclocking will fail. To stay on the safer part you can try with testing purpose. There is a tool called as OCCT which perform virtual overclocking test on your system and generate reports that your cpu can stand overclocking or not. Run this test. One more tool which does the same job is Prime95. The report generated by this offer you clear log about your system stability.