Thread: Modding Fan controller leads to overheat Heatsinks

Modding Fan controller leads to overheat Heatsinks

When I run at low speed with the three fans connected with the same port then I found that the Heatsinks get overheated and because of this my LCD dim a bit. Can somebody over here tell me that if there is some way by which I will be able to change the parts which is making it hot and replace that with a more powerful one that prevent me from overheating. If you have any of the suggestion for me then please let me know that. I will be thankful for all the replies for this. Please reply as soon as possible.

• Model Name: Kaze Server
    • Model #: KS01-BK (5.25" Version in Black)
    • Manufacturer: Scythe Co., Ltd. Japan
    • Dimensions (W x H x D): 148.5 x 42.5 x 63 mm | 5.72 x 1.67 x 2.48 in
    • Display Measurements (W x H): 114 x 20 mm | 4.49 x 0.79 in
    • Length of the control dial: 10 mm | 0.4 in
    • DC Input: 5 V or 12 V (From PC Power Supply Unit)
    • DC Output: 3.7 V (±10%) ~ 12 V (±10%)
    • Fan Adjustment Range: 4 (max. 1 Ampere and max. 12 W)
    • Fan Speed Range 0 - 9,990 rpm (Display: 30 rpm Steps)
    • Number of Temp Channels: 4 (0 - 100°C / 32 - 199.9°F)
    • Weight: 162 g | 5.71 oz

Re: Modding Fan controller leads to overheat Heatsinks

I think that there is us one thing that you can do for this and that is to improve the tiny heatsinks that you are using and that will solve the problem for you. What type of fan you are running. My suggestion to you is to raise the rpm of the fan to some extend and see if that can make any difference in the temperature. But don’t make it too fast otherwise it can also damage some other parts of your system. This is the only thing that I want to suggest you and hope that it will be helpful for you.

Re: Modding Fan controller leads to overheat Heatsinks

I would like to tell you that these are 12 Watt ports and this is similar to the Scythe S-flex draw that I am using. Whenever the fans turns then is could double the draw. This indicates that you are pulling 4.8 Watts for each of the fan that you are using. I can also say that you are overloading the channel with the 14 to 15 watts with the 12 watt port and this is enough. What you can do is, just turn up the fan rpm and check that if this solves the problem for you. The best thing that I can tell you is to make use of 2 fans per channel. You can also make use of a fan for spot blow lots of air onto heatsinks. If you do that then that might delay breaking the channel through the cooler. If you do not require breaking and having to utilize that many fans, you might think of buying a second controller otherwise 20 Watt controller and that depends on how bad you require the sleep feature.