Thread: Little Overclock Advice for Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Little Overclock Advice for Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

I need a bit advice on overclocking Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 processor. Other than this I have a Asus Sabertooth X58 and 4GB ram. The bios has settings for overclocking the processor. Right-now there are two fans which are configured on the system and looks enough for cooling my system. I am planing to buy 2 more fans to make more sure. I do not use a liquid cooler. I rely on air cooling and I found that a bit easier.

re: Little Overclock Advice for Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Overclocking is a stuff where it is necessary that you must have some precautions. First a good power supply so that it can handle up the power requirement generated by the processor while overclocking. Also the overclocking stability lies on the cpu you are using. Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 is a good processor but do not forget to check that this processor supports overclocking or not. Read the specs and limit of maximum frequency that the processor can handle. The first thing you need do is to run some overclocking tools to find that your cpu can handle the same or not. Looks like OCCT or Prime95 offers you options by which you can generate a report of systems stability. Other than this air cooling is not a bad choice. All you need to ensure that your system has enough ventilation to overcome the generated heat. If heatsink does not have enough tolerance power to dissipate the heat your cpu can face a serious draw back. You cannot also force the frequency to go over a limit.A test result to find how much your system can handle the overclocking process makes you more comfortable. And to say more on the safer side you can reach benchmark reviews. There are certain sites which publish benchmark report on cpu overclocking. This report provides information on the system stability.

Core 2 Quad is a good cpu and its combination with Asus Sabertooth can give you better output. Are you planing to have a gpu for the same also. If yes then I will recommend you to increase the psu. I hope you have that above 700w or else your system can crash instantly. You are planing to put up around 4 cpu fan.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 is based on bit old standards. This is what cause this cpu to stay a step behind for overclocking. So to get a right overclocking ratio you need to keep an eye on the cpu temperature. There are tools which can do this. First increase the cpu frequency and check in bios how much temperature increases. If that remains stable at a particular point then it is safer. But if the temperature keeps on increasing continuously or after a specific time period then you can face a system crash. There can be frequent blue screen error. The most important thing to ensure is to manage the voltage control from the bios. There are default and prescribed settings for voltage regulation which cannot be added blindly.