below mentioned are system specification,

ASUS Sabertooth X58
    Intel i7 990X
    2 @ Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 SLI
    12GB RAM
    1TB WD HD
    Liquid Cooling
    HAF 932 ATI Tower
    I tried to overclock my computer couple of times but I was not able to do the same.
    Now should I make use of Intel Extreme Tuning or simply utilize the settings available in BIOS as well?
    So let me know if you are aware of anything which will help me to resolve the issue. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Failed to overclock Intel Core i7-990X on ASUS SABERTOOTH X58

In this particular scenario I wanted to tell you that you should change the multiplier rather than that of bus speed. Irrespective of that it has been called as reference clock. After that you should stabilize core V until and unless you are supposed to go for extreme overclock however I don’t recommend to do the same if you are trying to do extreme overclocking.

You will be able to increase FSB by 1Mhz at a given moment of the time until and unless you are having unlocked extreme edition CPU. Only thing you have to do is that simply increase CPU multiplier. You CPU is having stock bclk of 133 and stock multiplier is 26 and it would give you 3.46GHz. in case you have increased the multiplier from 26 to 30 then you will get around 3.99GHz. I hope the information which I have provided will be useful to you.

Ok I got the idea about the overclocking my CPU but still I wanted to know whether should I use BIOS or use software such as Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for the purpose of overclock.

Personally I would recommend to overclock your CPU through BIOS settings only. If you wanted to use software to overclock then I would say that you should simply understand the settings from the software and implement the same in BIOS to make the same on permanently basis. ,but still if you wanted to overclock by using software then you should use Prime95.