Thread: How to overclock PCI-E slots

How to overclock PCI-E slots

I am little curious about overclocking things now. I would like to know how overclocking of pcie slots works and what kind of performance difference we can see by overclocking pcie slots. Does anyone have a good explanation for this? How it can be done? Using a software or manually?

Re: How to overclock PCI-E slots

As far as I know that PCI frequency over the stock 100 will help you to increase the performance of PCIe slots as well as its components but it may cause the stability of the system. Computer is at high overclocking PCI-E slots very quickly become unstable and the graphics card in 3D mode rapidly tends to hang or abort. Reach a performance increase of the binding of 8X to 16X you can compensate for it, anyway. It is really hard to find a stable voltage for PCIe slots.

According to my tests, in any case, just have to be careful that you do not overdo it, really only go in 1 MHz -2MHz increments to the maximum. You can see pretty quickly if you cut too much on it as soon as the computer is restarted. Flicker and artifacts are only a few symptoms. After a reset bios but everything is back to butter.

Asus card uses the Ageia PhysX PCI bus interface to calculate physical effects in real time for high-end video games. Nvidia incorporates the Ageia PhysX chipset with GeForce 8 and higher PCI-E Graphics cards. If you have a dedicated card installed, overclock the PCI slots to increase the performance of the card.
    • To do this, go to the BIOS menu, then press "Alt" and "F1" set to open the hidden options.
    • Choose the "PnP / PCI Configuration" and push "Enter". Afterward choose the "PCI Latency Timer" and press "Enter".
    • Try "32", "64" or "128". Higher values increase the speed of the Asus Ageia PhysX. Press "Enter" to set selected PCI latency.
    • Save Settings and Exit from BIOS. Your computer now restarts normally.

Hardware Manufacturer EVGA has released an accessory for motherboards that extra power to pci-express slots should bring. That would overclocking video cards by greater stability.

EVGA calls it the small plug-in card power boost. It can be in any PCI Express slot to be inserted into the puncture extra slots to carry. The Power Boost is powered by a molex connector with only the 12V lines connected. The 'card' therefore provides additional puncture on the 12V supply of the slots. According to EVGA should lead to a higher stability as video cards are overclocked.

I think that you can reach up to 105 without any problem but it may cause some impact the clock speeds of GPU. It is previously told in many articles and forums that overclocking helps the increase of the core and shader clock speeds slightly. However, if you really want to overclock, you buy a decent motherboard, and who often have an extra molex connector on the board are like those of EVGA to see.

I think I have read that the overclock of the PCIe ports only brings what in-memory graphics card, because then outsourced the data in the normal memory be through the overclock then the bandwidth is higher and it could be the data is transferred faster . The Physx card must be able to communicate in parallel with the main board with CPU and main memory AND, and there goes the pci-e x1 slot is certainly not out.

Overclocking pcie slots means just the interface i.e. increasing the bandwidth of PCIe lanes. pcie2.0x16 is equivalent to 32 PCI slots and I think that it is far enough for modern graphics cards. However if you are going to configure SLI or crossfire, it will uses extra bandwidth if available. Each and every card built for the PCie is only to work with that specification. If you do any kind of modification, it may cause the Card performance and incompatibility, thus making the system to lose its stability. So it always better that not to touch the PCIe slots.