Thread: Does 7970 water-cooling have universal block with factory heat spreader?

Does 7970 water-cooling have universal block with factory heat spreader?

Hello friends, I am very much impatient and waiting for full-cover 7970 waterblocks, I am very much tired of using EK universal GPU blocks. What I have seen in past with other reference cards, most of user have remove stock fan such that heatpipe from card and just having stock "heat spreader" on to cool the ram along with GPU block sitting on the core. I think that it is very much bad thing, but would like to know that anyone has torn down 7970 water-cooling to check it out that it and possible with it or not? Just wanted to get it confirm before I start the experiment. So please tell me, about it. Thank you.

Re: Does 7970 water-cooling have universal block with factory heat spreader?

Let me tell you that aluminum HS does not come with black heatspreader or any such with modification. I believe that you thinking to do it at this particular time, well this eliminates idea of universal GPU block along with stock heatspeader combo. One more think I would like to tell that EK Supreme universal will not work with this present card, not even doing modification. Well I was trying same and failed to take into account the GPU shim which is been little increased than the core. So after which there was no use of WB, beside that it might be fine. Well I was so sad that I do not check TIM contact patch after installing GPU blocks. Due to which I have end up tearing down water-cooler loop and added in GPU blocks and find out that they were making terrible contact.

I would like to tell full cover blocks for 7970 water-cooling are been available at various places, even you will be able to get in Stock, whereas I have got an EK from frozencpu. So you might be able to get it.

I have got two of EK FC blocks this Thursday and purchased it from Frozen. I have finally got one of them and I should say that there is very much difference in both of them. This was thing I was checking it out and did not know difference.

Glad somebody got one because I've been dying to know if they really do have that copper shim in between the block and the card? Some say no and some say yes? For reference this is what I am referring to. Confirmation would really be appreciated.